Pond snails>:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 gallon tank and I have a single live plant in it. I grew the plant from a bulb that I got at petsmart out a package. I have an infestation with pond snails and don't know how they got in the tank or anything how do I get rid of them this is gonna make me angry

Not too long ago I was at my Petsmart talking to one of the workers who has helped me quite a bit and he was saying that pond snails can also come in on the water from the fish bags. They had a couple of their tanks that had no live plants and they were just crawling with pond snails. Not sure how true that is, but that could explain how you got them.

There are a couple options for getting rid of them. You can get some fish that eat snails like loaches, you can stick a piece of lettuce or cucumber over night then in the morning remove it (the snails should be all over it eating it), or my favorite solution get some assassin snails and let them take care of the problem. =) hope that helps!

I had pond snails long before I got live plants, I think it is just something we have to deal with when buying fish. I just smash them every couple of days and the fish go crazy on the smashed snail...

I got a few plants myself about 2 weeks ago and as im looking around I see a about 10 very small snails. Don't mind them at this point since they are cleaning the driftwood. Maybe the cichlid will have a feast with them once they go in

I smash all the little ones that I can't grab but the big ones I find I'll grab and put into a small 2 gallon tank to feed to my puffers but lately they have just gone insane they're everywhere in the tank my puffers are in a 40 gallon tank while the snails are in a 55 gallon

Aren't assassin snails just like pond snails constantly breeding

I ordered assassin snails and ramshorn snails and got them on the same day. Within a week the ramshorn snails had laid 5 batches of eggs, I have yet to see anything from the assassin snails. I know that they do breed, but I don't think it's nearly as fast as pest snails. You may get some baby assassin snails, but they won't take over the tank.

for assassin snails i had 5 8 months ago now i have about 100, but i constantly bring snails home for them from petco. they are more likely to breed when food is available. also if you want to pay shipping, i have assassin snails i can mail you, 3-5 will take care of 55 quick but you may end up with little guys down the road

Hmmm ok I'll have to look into assassins I live near a petco or a pets mart I forge the bi also have like 2or 3 pet shops around my town

Our Petco and Petsmart here never gets assassins. I had to order some from LiveKoiForSale.com. They are a seller on E bay. Fair price and free shipping.
I lost the battle of picking them out by hand, so I'm calling in the shock troops!
OS.

my petco gets them in for 3$ each. so decide how many you want and if you think it will exceed shipping, let me know ill mail you free snails for just shipping.

Back
Top Bottom