Pool filter sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guns286

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 questions; first, if I put a layer of eco-complete or laterite or some other root freindly substrate and then a layer of pool filter sand over it, would that be a good platform for growing rooted plants? My other question should probably go in another thread but, I've never used pool filter sand before, does anyone have an opinion on it? I currently use play sand but wanted to give pool filter sand a try.

I have PFS in my 36 gallon corner tank. I like it a lot, and you can't beat the price. While you can mix it with other substrates, they will not stay nice and layered for very long. The finer grained particles will find their way to the bottom quickly. That is one of the good things about Ecocomplete, the mixed grain sizes automatically sort themselves into layers that the plants really like. If you have any heavy root feeders (swords, crypts) in the PFS some root tabs every few months will keep them happy. I have a gigantic sword plant in my 36 that couldn't be happier in the PFS with some tabs.

pfs, imo, is the only route in a fw tank to take... its the perfect size to keep junk on top, but let gas escape, its also big enough to vacuum without sucking it up and wont get up on your filter like playsand. I paid $1.99 for 50lb bags at meijer, rinsed it real good, loved it ever since. Ive got it in all 3 of my current tanks.

is all pol filter sand the white color, what if i wanted a darker more natural looking sand for my fresh water tank?

play sand...? what are the pros and cons?

play sand is about the same color, plus it is super fine so it gets sucked up in the filter, clouds the tank, the slightest movement over it will cloud up the tank too. It is also so light, its super hard to vac and packs down and can trap gas pockets in it that will kill fish. No pros imo when compared to pfs

from when i was a kid i remember the sand being quite dark...all the pics i see with ppls tanks and their pfs looks quite white, like a salt water tank style...maybe its just me, i will go check out a couple stores maybe they have diff colors of pfs as well...

Back
Top Bottom