Powerheads and Canister Output Flow??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got my planted tank upgraded to my bigger tank this weekend, went with a different layout, added driftwood and river rocks, etc. Stayed with the dirt & floramax bottom, but capped with pfs for the loaches.

I am having issues with the spray bar from my canister and the circ pump though. It is not too much flow, but I think I am just really struggling with how and where to place these. I have the spray bar along the top of the tank, with the holes slightly up to create soft surface ripples, and the circ pump in the mid/right back wall, pointed forward and just to the right. My problem is the spraybar pushes down the front of the glass and towards the back wall, and the current seems too strong. The Cabomba and Wallichii are on the left side, and they are both being blown to the back of the tank by the current, and some of the stems were uprooted in the night even.

I have attached a pic so you can see my placement. I would really like some better placement ideas, especially for the spraybar. I want some surface movement (without adding an airstone), but not blow my plants out of place. How does everyone have thier set-ups?
Also, are there any smaller circulation pumps that perform well with less "ugly"? I have the Koralia Evolution 550/600, and as far as circulation, I think it is just right, silent, etc, but holy cow this thing is huge and ugly, a total eye sore.

Attachments

• new tank.jpg
    new tank.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 116
They are an eye sore which is why I use the smaller Koralia Nano 240. I also put them on the side walls. Have you tried moving the PH to the side of the tank towards the front aiming it straight out so it blows against the current the spray bar is putting out? This often breaks that downward push from the spray bar. Hope this makes sense. Also try adjusting the spray bar up or down a little. Current is good if the plants sway gently.

Thanks Janis. I am going to try moving things around again. I did have the ph to the side, but I though it looked even more "ugly" that way, lol. Maybe I will monkey around with it more.
I was looking at the Koralia Nano ones. Are they considerable smaller? I heard reference somewhere that they are about the size of an egg. If that is the case, I might swap this out for the nano size ones to see if that helps. If I do that, should I go with the 425, or maybe 2 of the 240s? I like the flow I am getting from this one, but honestly maybe 2 of the smaller ones would be more my speed. I can put htis bigger one in my 55, which the fish in there would love, and I don't think it would be quite the eyesore in a bigger tank.
Also, would making the spraybar holes larger help with that flow? I have always kept my spraybar on my eheims vertical, in the back corner, but I want to try to keep this one across the top for the surface movement. I am trying to avoid having to add an airstone to the tank, lol.

Oh.........and I got a new co2 diffuser, a cheap little fluval one, and low and behold, it makes finer mist than all the glass ones I have tried this far. I placed it under the ph, so some of the mist was really circulated through the tank yesterday, got a nice pretty green on the drop checker, and .......drumroll.........pearling! Wahoo! Of course, I have not moved any fish into the tank yet, so I can monkey with it for a few days and make sure I don;t overdo it. Dont want to gas my fish again......poor things.

Hey I almost got my fish in the 220 twice the first week of having CO2! I recently got an inline diffuser for the CO2 on the 55g Nano fish tank and I've never seen such a fine mist of bubbles. I'm thinking of how I can do it on the 220g as I need 2 inline diffusers. It's pretty cool to watch the plants pearl when the CO2 is right!

I don't know if making the holes in the spray bar any bigger would help. I would think that would allow a stronger flow don't you think? I'd just play with it or have you thought about shortening the spray bar? I don't use spray bars on my canisters.

That is about the right size for the Nano 240. I even use them in the 220 and they aren't too in your face ugly with them being smaller. I use one in the 55g. I actually have it inside a black nylon to add some current but not suck up the little nano fish, especially the 3/8" long Chili Rasbora's.

I might try monkeying with the spray bar some more.......and I think I will look into the nano ph. Also, do you think I need to put the stocking over my ph as well? I don't have any tiny fish like you have in your nano tank, but I do have kuhli loackes, and they are quite curious of everything........

What in-line diffuser are you using? I think that is my next "upgrade". I was looking at the ones from GLA, they look pretty good.

Thanks! I have looked at that one online.......it's definitely less expensive than the one from GLA. lol
Now, do you have yours attached to your outflow from the filter back to the tank?......and it works with a solenoid vavle right? Sorry so many questions, just want to make sure I know what I am getting into. :)

Thanks! I have looked at that one online.......it's definitely less expensive than the one from GLA. lol
Now, do you have yours attached to your outflow from the filter back to the tank?......and it works with a solenoid vavle right? Sorry so many questions, just want to make sure I know what I am getting into. :)

Hey if I can figure it out it's not hard... lol! I do have mine attached to the outflow line and I have an Aquatek regulator and all works together perfectly. Actually Zimmermann helped me as he posted a picture of his on my Transformation thread.

Hey Janis,
Did you say you have used the Maxi Jet powerheads before? Pros, cons..... I had some coupons for Petco that expired yesterday, so I picked up a Maxi Jet 400 with them for a pretty good price. Not sure I will like it, or even if it will work for the planted tank, but I am sure I can find some use for it somewhere. I do like that it has the venturi line, I might play around with it and see how hooking the co2 up to it goes...............
Still think I am going to order the Koralia Nano ph's though.

Hey Janis,
Did you say you have used the Maxi Jet powerheads before? Pros, cons..... I had some coupons for Petco that expired yesterday, so I picked up a Maxi Jet 400 with them for a pretty good price. Not sure I will like it, or even if it will work for the planted tank, but I am sure I can find some use for it somewhere. I do like that it has the venturi line, I might play around with it and see how hooking the co2 up to it goes...............
Still think I am going to order the Koralia Nano ph's though.

The Maxi Jets PH's are good and have different ways you can use them which is nice BUT don't bother trying to hook the CO2 up to the 400 as I found out the PH isn't strong enough and the bubbles come out really large. That is why I ended up going with an inline diffuser! I have larger I think 1200 Maxi Jets in the 220 with the CO2 running through them.

Then I use the Koralia Nano's at night in the 220 right by the surface to agitate the water to gass off the CO2. After I almost killed them twice during the night by not having enough surface agitation I don't take chances and those 2 little pumps work really well. I do the same thing with the Nano 240 in the 55g at night also for the same reason (but I didn't try to kill those fish).

Well, I am happy with the bubble size I am getting from the diffuser I currently have, so I guess I wont mess with that for now. Most likely I will get an inline diffuser in the near future.
Moved the fish tonight (except the minnows). Everyone adjusting well, they seem to like the new tank. I will get some pics up this weekend. All the plants seem happy with the move and look good, except the Blyxa. It is melting back, big time. Grrrr.....I love the stuff, but man, I seem to have a lot of trouble with it. :(

Blyxa is one of those plants that many people have a love-hate relationship with... lol. But at least it almost always grows back.

Yep. I think I am gonna trim it back a bit, let it do it's thing and put some root tabs under there to see if I can get it to come back. Here's hoping.

Back
Top Bottom