Pruning Cabombas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eoin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know the proper way to prune Cabombas? They grow like weeds and take less than a few weeks to grow to the top of the tank, and then across the surface to the other end. I have tried cutting off the tops at the desired height, but found that the point where I had made the cut, slowly rotted away (which is rather unsightly). A new shoot usually then branches off from a few nodules down the plant.

How am I supposed to be doing this?

The way you describe is the way I do it, but the only suggestion I have is that an extremely sharp instrument be used to do the cutting, if you are not already. I have found that prevents the unsightly decayed bit at the cut end. If you are using very sharp scissors for this then maybe someone else has some ideas! :)

I've read that the bottoms don't sprout well if the tops are just cut off. It's best to cut off the tops to replant and just pull up the bottoms. It is a pain but the best way to keep good looking plants.

Yeah, I've certainly experienced the bottoms growing back poorly. However, they do grow back eventually...

Cabomba are famous for their poor recovery after pruning, btw... I now use Metzenbaum scissors to cut all my plants back. They're great, and I got them online for $18 or so.

Back
Top Bottom