Question about the correct type of co2 tubing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My lfs didn't have any tubing so I ended up at Lowe's buying 1/2" vinyl tubing for my co2. I've noticed that it trys to collapse at several points, is there a correct or better type of tubing to use ?

Thx,

Dave

1/2"?? that's huge!

I don't go crazy for special CO2 grade tubing. I use regular airline tubing from my LFS.

I read a study someone did on the permeability of various types of tubing to CO2 and you would be amazed how permeable regular vinyl tubing actually is. I will try to find it and post the results here if I can. It measured quite a few different types of tubing from vinyl to norprene, to silicone, and several others I wasn't too familiar with.

Yes, regular vinyl tubing is permable...but if you let CO2 flow 24/7, or have DIY, the CO2 shouldn't build up enough pressure to leak thru the vinyl.

Malkore.. it's the line in & out to the reactor that's 1/2".

Here's my set up, any suggestions on improvements appreciated :)

dave

Attachments

• reactor1_178.jpg
    reactor1_178.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 59
LoL that is the tubing that carries the h2o, not the co2. My canister filter has the same problem, the lines will collapse and the flow will stop. (due to negative pressures or something. . . .real scientific here :p
Any advice on collapsing tubes in general anyone?

BTW the setup looks very nice and clean. I wouldn't change a thing (except a remedy for that collapsing problem).

If you can find some rigid plastic elbows made by Eheim, use these where the line attaches at the top of the reactor, and then again as it goes back into the tank, if necessary, so there is just a gentle curve from the top of the reactor to the lip of the tank edge. They are designed for 1/2" tubing.

I changed out the co2 line with some tubing that is supposed to be designed specifically for co2. I worked with my in and out tubes and and everything is running smooth now :)

Thx,

Dave

Attachments

• co21.jpg
    co21.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom