Question on Upgrading Lights on 29 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to upgrade my lights on my 29 gallon tank from 1x55 watt retro-fit to a system that would give me around 3 or even 3.5 wpg, right now I am just under 2 wpg and can't really grown the plants I would like to grow.

My tank is a 29 gallon, approximately 30 inches long. I could either go with a new hood with lights or a retro fit. I know that AH Supply is an option at 2x55 watts but I'm just curious if there is anything else that would work well and might have a moon light too!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Linda

I have a 30" 2 x65W coralife with moonlights.
I don't run both bulbs all the time. Front on from 12-8, and back on from 3-11.

Would a 30" fit on my tank, I know my tank is 30 inches but when I measure the light/hood area, it comes to 29 inches, would this make a difference? This sounds great and I wouldn't have to run both bulbs all the time if I didn't want to, that is a lot of light, over 3.5 wpg

Where can I find them, is there a website? They wouldn't happen to have the coralife in 2x55 watt with moonlights, would they?

Oops, just found the link Purrbox, thank you!

It looks great, I really think I'm going to go with this set up. Now do you run both lights all day or one for so many hours than both? Running both would give me approx. 3.75 wpg, correct?

Can you tell me what the difference is between the dual daylight and the dual actinic? Please excuse the ingorance but lighting isn't my strong suit. It states 1 dual daylight and 1 dual actinic and the lunar light, I'm just not sure about the actinic.

I love the idea of having a moonlight, my lights are on a timer and go off every evening around 8:00 p.m. and then we all sit there in my living room staring at a dark tank; it would be so nice to look at the tank lite by moonlight, I'll bet it looks spectacular.

Actinic is more for Saltwater tanks, and is all but useless to plants. As such any Actinic light shouldn't be counted when determining the amount of light over your tank. This can be handy if you want to tweak the amount of light over your tank. I currently run 1 daylight and one 50/50 (half daylight and half Actinic) so that I can limit the amount of light to 75% which is plenty in my situation. If you want the full effect of the fixture, simply swap the Actinic bulb for a daylight bulb.

If you current is plasitic with a small window for light, you'll want to replace it with a glass canopy so that you can get the full effect of the new light.

Oh, I see, so I would need to purchase one more bulb then, is this correct? One more daylight bulb? Would it make a difference if it was a 6700k or 10,000k, or should it be the same as the other daylight bulb?

I thought I was being a pest with the questions but now I'm sure glad I asked them!

Thinking about it, another bulb of 50/50 would work fine for me, i.e., this bulb here, couldn't I just replace the actinic with a 65w 50/50 Sumpaql lamp?

I really need to make sure I get everything right this time around. I really regret only purchasing a 1 x 55 watt retro fit the last time, I moved much to quickly on that choice.

I use two 6,700/10,000 bulbs. I like the color that combo gives off. You could get one 6,700/10,000 and one 50/50 bulb if you want to limit the light a bit.

We must have posted at the same time Rich, but you answered my question. Oh great, this makes me very happy, a little lighter in the pocket but happy.

Did you purchase two bulbs Rich, you didn't keep the one daylight bulb that came with the Coralife? Wish you could make that choice from the start as to not waste a bulb.

Oh just thought of one more question, on the length of the bulbs, would that be 24 inches? I'm thinking where it's a 30 inch fixture, I wouldn't put a 30 inch bulb in there or would I?

Thanks so much, you've been very helpful!
Linda

I also use two daylight bulbs, jsut staggered the time they are on as mentioned in my origianl post. FYI...I found the fan in the satellite fixture to be too loud, so I returned it and got the coralife fixture. It is about half as loud, (or half as loud as the possible defective satellite unit I recieved). Due to the multiple switches and number of cords on the coralife, I would reccommend it over the satellite. The fan also only runs when the front bulb is on. (so you can run rear bulb and no fan if you want more quiet)

The orbit works the same way. The fan is attached to one of the bulbs.

Both the satellite and orbit models have separate switches for each bulb. The fan on the satellite has its own plug.

My tanks are in the basement in my office/slash tank room so it is not a big worry for me. I don't find them that loud, but they are audible.

I already order the 2 x 65 watt dual Satellite unit, hopefully my fan won't be too loud, I can't wait to get it. I will have to look around and find another bulb for the actinic now.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

I have an unused daylight bulb that will work with the satellite. I bought it for the satellite, but never sent it back when I returned the light You can have it if we can figure out how to coordinate it. Better than throwing it out I guess.

Back
Top Bottom