questions about compressed peat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xyyz

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm thinking about using small compressed peat pots to for my plants, instead of planting them directly in the substrate. i guess i can control what i put in each pot, hopefully encouraging healthy root growth.

i'm also looking at the compressed peat discs. i plan on stuffing the expanded disk into the pot, hollowing out some of the peat material in the center, and inserting the plants directly into the peat. i'll cover the spacing with the tank substrate.

as most of you know, these are used for planting a small amount of seeds for gardening. should i have any concerns about using them? they say they're 100% natural, but i'm not sure if any "natural" chemical agents were used to make them.

does anyone use them? how well do they work?

also, i know peat reduces water hardness, but what exactly does it reduce? kH? gH? both?

Reduces both IIRC, and also tends to make tea colored water.

the water is already "tea" colored from the mopani driftwood. this color along with the greenish-tint isn't exactly the most pleasing water preference.

I would be concerned about the possibility of fertilizers in the tabs since they are meant for land plants. Often soils, etc. meant for land plants contain Ammonia as a source of some of the fertilizers. This of course wouldn't work well in an aquarium. As long as they are pure peat and nothing else, they would work fine though.

I have used the peat pots and Jiffy pellets with no problems whatsoever. I used the Jiffy pellets for spawning killies, by wetting them with warm water and removing the webbing.

I would be concerned about the possibility of fertilizers in the tabs since they are meant for land plants. Often soils, etc. meant for land plants contain Ammonia as a source of some of the fertilizers. This of course wouldn't work well in an aquarium. As long as they are pure peat and nothing else, they would work fine though.

It shouldn't be too hard to test for ammonia or other ferts.

Just take a spare 5g tank, fill with water and let sit for 24 hrs.

Test tank water for ammonia, nitrates, phosphates, pH, gH, kH. Record results.

Put a dozen or so small peat pots in tank... the more, the quicker the results might show.

Let tank sit for 24 hrs.
Retest water and compare results with bare tank. record results.

Do the above for at least a week or two and record results.

Take the results and make a graph showing all readings.

If all results are within normal tank limits you should be ok to start using them continously.

Post results and the graph here for all to see.

jiffy pots. those are exactly what i was going to buy. and you nailed my concerns. i don't know if anything is added; however, according to BillD, he's had no issues.

nonetheless, i think i'll test 'em just to make sure and report my results.

Back
Top Bottom