Questions on live plants ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anyone tell me if my light is okay for plants like java miss and have ferns?

I really can't tell whay type of light that is. It's in a 48" hood, but the setup of the bulb appears to be much smaller then the length of the hood. IE less then 48".

Can you take a pic of the whole light?

Ok I will

Also I was wanting to get a different light. I was looking at the marineland LED light fixture. It has a night light as well that they say acts as moon light I thought it was cool and wood look nice.

So you have a 36" T8? That would be 25 watts. Really not a lot for a 60 gallon tank. You could go with one of those double brights, not sure if it would be enough for most plants.

Or

Go buy a shop light at home depot for 12 bucks and also purchase two philips 6500K bulbs for it and you will be able to grow quite a few plants. Just listing a very cheap solution. By all means, if you want a very nice light, go and purchase one. I started out with a shop light and had a very nice tank full of plants.

rkilling1 said:
So you have a 36" T8? That would be 25 watts. Really not a lot for a 60 gallon tank. You could go with one of those double brights, not sure if it would be enough for most plants.

Or

Go buy a shop light at home depot for 12 bucks and also purchase two philips 6500K bulbs for it and you will be able to grow quite a few plants.

So you do think that the double bright led light from marineland would be okay

As far as the shop light from home depot. Are you saying to by different bulbs for the fixture I have or a completely different fixture from home depot that contains two bulbs ?

As far as the shop light from home depot. Are you saying to by different bulbs for the fixture I have or a completely different fixture from home depot that contains two bulbs ?

Your stuck with what you got. Unless you retrofit it with something else. I was just giving you a cheap alternative to buying an expensive fixture.

Again, I'm not sure how the double bright will do for your tank. I would have to do more research.

rkilling1 said:
Your stuck with what you got. Unless you retrofit it with something else. I was just giving you a cheap alternative to buying an expensive fixture.

Again, I'm not sure how the double bright will do for your tank. I would have to do more research.

Thank you for your help

Stephen Rollins said:

My Club Members that have tried it have not had good results with the Marineland Double Bright.
They don't recommend it for plants.

YMMV.

I would be getting the 48 - 60 inch fixture which has 73 par at 12 inches so that would make it a medium. I think

Regard less low or medium. Will that be sufficient for java ferns and java moss?

Coursair said:
My Club Members that have tried it have not had good results with the Marineland Double Bright.
They don't recommend it for plants.

YMMV.

Ok.

I'm not planning on getting involved in highly planted tank with different kinds of plants.

Is was thinking like 3-4 java ferns and some java moss.

I was told that These two plants are low maintenance. Is this true or not IYO?

If you say that these plants wouldn't do good inquire using the marineland led light then I might as well not get involved with live plants.

Stephen Rollins said:
Ok.

I'm not planning on getting involved in highly planted tank with different kinds of plants.

Is was thinking like 3-4 java ferns and some java moss.

I was told that These two plants are low maintenance. Is this true or not IYO?

If you say that these plants wouldn't do good inquire using the marineland led light then I might as well not get involved with live plants.

That should be fine for those plants. Sorry I wasn't clear. Low light easy plants should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom