Quick Bulb Pack Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Those bulb packs were on sell so I thought why buy em and see
So when I put them in the sand do I burry them completely or partially?
Their water Lilly, onion and aponogeton bulbs
Thanks

Those bulbs, in my experience, are hit or miss.

I went through about 9 of them before I finally got 3 to sprout, but once they begin growing, they take off.

You really don't need to worry much about placement at this point, if I were you, I'd leave them above the substrate (or plant them on their side) and then once they sprout, just turn that side up and plant about 1/2 the bulb in the substrate.

If you plant them on their side, they'll usually just root where they are so you won't even need to move them once they start growing.

But regardless, the plant will find it's way to the light even if you plant it upside down, it would just take an extra day or two to finally emerge out of the substrate.

Good luck with them, hopefully you get a good batch!

Eleven13 said:
Those bulbs, in my experience, are hit or miss.

I went through about 9 of them before I finally got 3 to sprout, but once they begin growing, they take off.

You really don't need to worry much about placement at this point, if I were you, I'd leave them above the substrate (or plant them on their side) and then once they sprout, just turn that side up and plant about 1/2 the bulb in the substrate.

If you plant them on their side, they'll usually just root where they are so you won't even need to move them once they start growing.

But regardless, the plant will find it's way to the light even if you plant it upside down, it would just take an extra day or two to finally emerge out of the substrate.

Good luck with them, hopefully you get a good batch!

Yeah I've bought some in the past and two have sprouted 3 out of are above the substrate the other three I had to plant them a bit because they'd float up
And thanks I hope so too

Yeah I've bought some in the past and two have sprouted 3 out of are above the substrate the other three I had to plant them a bit because they'd float up
And thanks I hope so too

I may be wrong, but I think that the water lilies are natural floaters, which may be why they kept floating up. I believe that onion (and definitely aponogeton) are sinkers.

Eleven13 said:
I may be wrong, but I think that the water lilies are natural floaters, which may be why they kept floating up. I believe that onion (and definitely aponogeton) are sinkers.

Hmm well on the box they appear green almost lettuce like leaves the last Lilly I had from those boxes came out with pinkish arrow shaped leaves and eventually grew when it was on the ground
I tried googling exactly how to plant it but it just gives me other varieties that are in swamps

What it says it's suppose to look like
And the one in the middle is what it looked like when it sprouted

Attachments

• image-231562298.jpg
    image-231562298.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1681215876.jpg
    image-1681215876.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 82
That's nice looking, I got scared away in terms of growing the water lily bulbs because I heard they get enormous and I only have bulbs in my 3 gallon betta tank. But since the picture shows it planted in the substrate, either planting it, or just letting it sit on top of the substrate will still work, it'll just root in either way.

Mr.Albiman said:
Is the onion bulb literally just an onion bulb? Like the onion you eat? :O
Is that a really dumb question? :cool:
:fish2:

I have no idea lol every time ived tried looking fir that it just shows me how to grow the vegetable

I have no idea lol every time ived tried looking fir that it just shows me how to grow the vegetable

Just to let you know, I researched it and found out that it's only called an onion plant because it looks like an onion; it's a member of the lily family and is poisonous to eat. So now we know. :brows: :whistle: :facepalm:

Mr.Albiman said:
Just to let you know, I researched it and found out that it's only called an onion plant because it looks like an onion; it's a member of the lily family and is poisonous to eat. So now we know. :brows: :whistle: :facepalm:

Poisonous!? I'm pretty sure their semi aquatic also in cross country I'd see a bunch by rivers and creeks and i was pretty close to eating one lol

Mr.Albiman said:
Apparently so. Could be wrong of course, but maybe that's why fish don't eat them. haha. :)

That's true but it seems like my mystery snail fell in love with it he was always on it lol I had to bury it with just enough space for the leaves to continue growing

Back
Top Bottom