Quick question about an intake and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locorosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an extension on my filtration's intake. It been extended and sits about 2"-3" above the substrate. I can remove on piece and it will reach almost halfway down. Should I leav it as it is or shorten it?

Thanks in advance

Depends on the layout and flow of your tank around various plants and obstacles from your outtake to your intake. Mine are currently 2-3 inches above the substrate on one side like yours... All things being equal it shouldn't matter much at all.

I can't imagine what difference it would make, unless it is sucking up substrate and getting it in your filter.

I prefer mine as low to the sand as possible without sucking up sand into the filter.
Closer to where the detrimis settles. :)

Cool. Thanks for the info. I was just worried about plants getting sucked up into the trap so I will keep an eye on that.

The lower the intake in the water the BETTER it is. It puts less stress on the motor (due to the upward pressure of the water in the tube), it makes it easier to restart in case you lose power, and as mentioned it should help pick up particles better as they are getting close to the substrate.

This also applies to the water level (ie the higher the water level, the less stress on the motor) since its not fighting gravity quite as much.

Back
Top Bottom