Really Shouldn't Have...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coursair said:
See above notes*

I like Nano fish so I can have more of them in a small space. Heavily planting your tank will help cycle it faster. Add some stems or Java Ferns to suck up bad stuff faster.

If you have no Shrimp experience, try Red Cherries first. Much easier and hardier. CRS are pickier on water parameters and a bit more delicate for newbies.

I have Threadfin Rainbows as my centerpiece fish. They are Shrimp safe.

Thanks you so much for the notes! Ahh I'm still stuck with fish:(

Also I have some experience with shrimp. Had tiger shrimp for a while then endlers/guppies had fry. Put those two together :nono:.

I'll probably update the possibility list later today. Thanks coursair!!!!:thanks:

So I went and re-did my stokcing ideas. Got rid of a bunch and added 3 more:) I am good with making my 10g a species only tank! I think that if the fish is cool enough that I'd be great with only one fish:D

Here it is:

1. Dwarf Puffer(s)~2 of them for my 10g
2. Pygmy Sunfish
3. Swamp Darters
4. Scalet Badis
5. Lyretail/Gardneri Killifish
6. Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish
7. Betta(s)~ Maybe go WILD:D
8. Bee Shrimp/Crystal Read Shrimp/Cherry Red Shrimp/any Neocaridina Shrimp
9. Bumblebee Gobies
10. African Dwarf Frogs
11. Celestial Pearl Danios/Galaxy Rasboras
12. Coral Red Pencilfish
13. Dwarf/Pygmy Corydoras
14. Least Killifish
15. Threadfin Rainbows

What do you think of these?

Basefrog said:
Puffers are cute. I was tempted to get some myself! Though you have to feed them shrimp etc.

Yeah, I have a tank that has a bunch of pest snails so I wouldn't have an issue with feedings. Plus I always have frozen blood worms handy:)

I have CPDs and Threadfin Rainbows and Scarlet Badis together. They do fine together. Some Scarlet Badis will ONLY eat live. Mine snacks on baby Shrimps I assume plus tiny bugs. My tank is so heavily planted, plus I often float new plants in there, so always critters to eat. Plus mine does eat flake.

So I went to my large aquarium store not far from here and looked at what they have.

I'm now down to 2 different tank set ups:

Option 1: Dwarf Puffers:)
Option 2: Dwarf Corydoras, CPDs or signifer rainbows or threadfin rainbows and shrimp!

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Decisions:p
Opinions anyone?

Haven't really looked into the other fish as it is 2am and I am in bed but I think you know by now i'm voting for puffers :p they seem soo charactoristic and have a mind of their own :D up to you at the end of the day.

Basefrog said:
Haven't really looked into the other fish as it is 2am and I am in bed but I think you know by now i'm voting for puffers :p they seem soo charactoristic and have a mind of their own :D up to you at the end of the day.

I kinda figured:). I saw them and they look so mischievous and curious! My sister wants 10! I told her that we could only get two. I'm really loving them because they are what brought me into the aquarium world, my sister wanting puffer fish:D

The other part is that I've always sort of wanted bee shrimp and I could breed them if I got them! Which would be awesome if it happened. And the cories are adorable, but I could always put them in another tank of mine...

Agh yes I see both sides to your argument =s both are pretty cool.. I want to move on to bumblebee shrimp from RCS =) all in the near future.. now sleep is calling me.. Night =)

Okay, I think I've made a decision with the help of GuppyLover! I'm going to do the shrimp/Cory/maybe nano fish tank! I'll get a 5g and put a dp in eventually;). But I'm super excited to have figured this all out!!!

Now onto looking at substrates and lighting and plants!

Any ideas for substrate? I've been doing dirt tanks but are the substrates of fluorite or Eco-complete any better? Should I do the fluval shrimp substrate?

Thanks!!!

Also I'm thinking about making this rimless, any pros or cons I should be concerned about?

Also there will be NO co2 because I've been reading that it's bad for the shrimp and I'd really like them to breed for me! So what sort of plants am I looking at and what sort of lighting should I get?

Thanks everyone!

AquaKai said:
Also I'm thinking about making this rimless, any pros or cons I should be concerned about?

Also there will be NO co2 because I've been reading that it's bad for the shrimp and I'd really like them to breed for me! So what sort of plants am I looking at and what sort of lighting should I get?

Thanks everyone!

You can do a moss scape or a mix of lowlight easy plants. Shrimp love Moss :)

You can use a PH lowering substrate or use sand. I like the sand. Easy to plant in. I use root tabs for my Crypts. I have AquaSoil new Amazonia Multi in my 5.5g. I'm annoyed with it, but the plants seem happy.
I add an Indian Almond Leaf ( IAL) to my 10g and that lowers PH for me.

I use compact fluorescents ( screw in ) for light. 2-3 watts per gal.

Look at people's set ups online and see what appeals. I keep wanting to go Iwagumi, but I hate to buy rocks LOL. And some rocks aren't good in Shrimp tanks. Plus I avoid CO2 high tech.

GL. Btw CPDs may eat baby Shrimp. Fine with adults. I had over 100 RCS so I was ok losing a few. But that is why I'm setting up a Shrimp only tank for my SS CRS.

Coursair said:
You can do a moss scape or a mix of lowlight easy plants. Shrimp love Moss :)

You can use a PH lowering substrate or use sand. I like the sand. Easy to plant in. I use root tabs for my Crypts. I have AquaSoil new Amazonia Multi in my 5.5g. I'm annoyed with it, but the plants seem happy.
I add an Indian Almond Leaf ( IAL) to my 10g and that lowers PH for me.

I use compact fluorescents ( screw in ) for light. 2-3 watts per gal.

Look at people's set ups online and see what appeals. I keep wanting to go Iwagumi, but I hate to buy rocks LOL. And some rocks aren't good in Shrimp tanks. Plus I avoid CO2 high tech.

GL. Btw CPDs may eat baby Shrimp. Fine with adults. I had over 100 RCS so I was ok losing a few. But that is why I'm setting up a Shrimp only tank for my SS CRS.

Thanks for the info!

I've been falling in love with the moss scapes all day! I may tweak some of the designs that I've seen and add a few other plants but nothing much.

I'll probably get some nice black sand and just use that since I'm going to be doing mostly mosses!

I'm stuck between getting new fish (rainbows) or transferring my chilis and getting more into the tank. But that can wait a while:). Thanks for everything!!!

Hello, I'm back to the tank again:). I've been away doing research and window shopping and I'm back for some more advice on this. Also, I've decided to do shrimp only in the tank.

My questions:
1. I want to use sand but I want to lower my pH without hurting the shrimp, how should I do that?
2. I'm thinking about OEBTs and Rili Shrimp I've read that they are harder shrimp, well the OEBTs are. I've kept tiger shrimp so I've had some experience, but are there any tips or advice that'd be useful?
3. Should I use RO/DI water? I've read plenty of conflicting articles on this. Half and half maybe?

I think that's it for now... Thanks!!!

Edit: I forgot to ask about cycling! I'm going to do a fishless cycle on this just to be safe. Maybe I'll add some filter media but I'm not sure. Any who my question is how much ammonia should I do? I've read that only 1ppm of ammonia would be fine. Should I do more than that?

AquaKai said:
Hello, I'm back to the tank again:). I've been away doing research and window shopping and I'm back for some more advice on this. Also, I've decided to do shrimp only in the tank.

My questions:
1. I want to use sand but I want to lower my pH without hurting the shrimp, how should I do that?
2. I'm thinking about OEBTs and Rili Shrimp I've read that they are harder shrimp, well the OEBTs are. I've kept tiger shrimp so I've had some experience, but are there any tips or advice that'd be useful?
3. Should I use RO/DI water? I've read plenty of conflicting articles on this. Half and half maybe?

I think that's it for now... Thanks!!!

Edit: I forgot to ask about cycling! I'm going to do a fishless cycle on this just to be safe. Maybe I'll add some filter media but I'm not sure. Any who my question is how much ammonia should I do? I've read that only 1ppm of ammonia would be fine. Should I do more than that?

1. You can use Peat, and tannins? From IAL and driftwood.

2. Both those shrimp are kinda difficult shrimp. OEBT are quite expensive too.

3. I think going 50/50 on RO/DI and tap should be good:) if you go full RO/DI water, you'd have to remineralize the water bec. The water is to pure.

I use IAL and Dwiftwood in my current sand tank (RCS/CRS), but I'm also trying AquaSoil Amazonia New Type Multi in my new 5.5g CRS tank.

International Shrimp Now and The Planted Tank have some great info about these Shrimp.

If you've had Tigers the OEBTs should be fine. The Rillis can be tricky AFAIK.

I've done a mix of Distilled and Tap water to bring down TDS and PH.

I've never done completely fish less cycling. My Shrimp tank, I added MT Snails and fish food and a pre-seeded filter and did water changes. I planted it heavily and it cycled very fast. I've never added Ammonia, so no advice, sorry.

Austin.b said:
1. You can use Peat, and tannins? From IAL and driftwood.

2. Both those shrimp are kinda difficult shrimp. OEBT are quite expensive too.

3. I think going 50/50 on RO/DI and tap should be good:) if you go full RO/DI water, you'd have to remineralize the water bec. The water is to pure.

Ok thanks for the information:). I'll look for the IAL peat stuff today, thanks a ton for that! I'm very aware that the shrimp are a more difficult of a shrimp, but I've had some experience and I'm ready with buckets of water for the challenge;). But thanks for the warning!!

Coursair said:
I use IAL and Dwiftwood in my current sand tank (RCS/CRS), but I'm also trying AquaSoil Amazonia New Type Multi in my new 5.5g CRS tank.

International Shrimp Now and The Planted Tank have some great info about these Shrimp.

If you've had Tigers the OEBTs should be fine. The Rillis can be tricky AFAIK.

I've done a mix of Distilled and Tap water to bring down TDS and PH.

I've never done completely fish less cycling. My Shrimp tank, I added MT Snails and fish food and a pre-seeded filter and did water changes. I planted it heavily and it cycled very fast. I've never added Ammonia, so no advice, sorry.

Ok, I think I'm going to do sand because everywhere I look there is no AquaSoil, they either don't have it or it's out of stock or it's insanely expensive and I'm saving all my money for the shrimp:)

Thanks for the places to look! I've rummaged around TPT before but I found some new things, and thanks for introducing me to the Shrimp Now website! It was very informative:)

I'll ask around with the cycling question, hopefully someone knows:). :thanks:

Thank you sooooo much!!!!

Back
Top Bottom