Really Shouldn't Have...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought yet another tank:angel:. I just couldn't help myself. My 2g was a failure and I have an awkwardly shaped 2.6g that I don't use, so I took those two down and got a new tank:whistle:

Now what to do... Plants for sure and what else? I have a nice tank open! Ideas opinions?

hmm...well...my favorite tank is my ACF tank. You couldn't put too many plants in there, but moss, aponogeton bulbs, and some anacharis or hornwort floating around would work great. They are all hardy and could withstand the waste output and lighting that an African Clawed Frog needs. Mine is a 10g and it has a similar filter to what you have. It has a basic hood with the $3 incandescent lights (can be upgraded to screw in compact fluorescents for your plants). They don't need a heater, they eat anything and everything. Bloodworms (any type), flakes (not the best for them), pellets, crickets (live), earthworms, fish, snails, shrimp, other frogs...ANYTHING. They are kind of humorous looking at first, but then you will realize them for the monstrosities they are. They create a lot of waste...I do about a 40% change once a week, and periodically I will remove waste with a turkey baster every other day or so. In ten gallon you could probably even keep another kind of animal that is bigger than its mouth with it.
Another off the wall idea is a "trash" tank. Cheap inhabitants that can actually turn out to be really awesome: some feeder minnows (rosy reds) in a small school and some ghost shrimp and malaysian trumpet snails. Again you could use hornwort, aponogetons and some kind of moss...as many times they are more "undesirable" plants in the aquarium world. I love this idea because I like to see the beauty in unexpected vessels.
Another idea is an awesome bottom feeder tank. Ghost shrimp, otos, snails and some khuli loaches.
I think the dario dario, or scarlet badis is beautiful...you might wanna check into those two. They remind me of very small gouramis, but they only reach 1.5in i believe. You could have like 8 of those!

I have two 10g tanks. If you take a moment to go to my profile you'll see my HEAVILY planted 10g.
Started with that kit ;)

Swapped light bulbs. I'm using two screw in Marineland CFLs for plants. Zoomed makes some also. I aim for 6500K.

I used sand in my tanks. Root tabs added. And basic liquid ferts 1x weekly.

I do PWC weekly and trim my stems weekly. Also remove extra floaters.

I added a Fluval prefilter sponge over my filter intake to protect my shrimp.

Thanks TankersJ and Coursair! It was great info and I like the ideas!

Ok, so today after I got done with OGTs (ohio graduation test-they're AWFUL, most boring thing ever!!!!) I thought about all of the things that you were telling me about. I think that I've created a fairly long and good list of possibilities, some of which aren't even aquatic...

So here's the list:
1. Scarlet Badis (Dario dario)
2. Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)
3. Clown Killifish (Epiplatys annulatus)
4. Lyretail Killifish ( Aphyosemion australe)
5. Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish (Cambarellus patzcuarensis)
6. Betta(s)~ Maybe go for a wild kind. That'd be fun:)
7. Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)~ I could find these around me!
8. Bee Shrimp/Crystal Red Shrimp/Any Neocaridina
9. Bumblebee Gobies (Brachygobius doriae)
10. A gecko/anole/frog/toad... There's a lot here!
11. African Dwarf Frogs (Hymenochirus boettgeri)
12. Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margarutatus)
13. Sparkling Gouramis (Trichopsis pumilus)
14. Try going saltwater:)
15. Some kind of pencil fish...
16. Espei Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)
17. Harlequin Rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha)
18. Pygmy/Dwarf/Tiny Corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras Habrosus, Corydora Hastatus)
19. Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa)
20. Fiddler Crabs ((peri)sesarma bidens)
21. Albino Clawed Frogs (Xenopus Laevis)

So... That's my list, for now:) Any opinions? Can I cross anything out?

Now onto more of my questions:

~Substrate:
Should I do:
*Soil with gravel
*Soil with sand
*Flourite
*Eco-Complete

Lighting:
I have no clue. I kind of want to do rimless but I'm not sure about lighting. LED would be pretty sweet to do as well. I'd like to have medium-high lighting.

I think that's all for now. Thanks!

Don't worry its not the one I just planted! It's a different one that I haven't used in a LONG time. That tank is still doing great:)

So the saltwater idea is gone. Parents put a stop to that. But now I'm to thinking about planting. I do have rotala rundifolia, HC, bocapa monnieri, and red 'micro' chain sword.

I still don't know about the lighting but I'm hoping to have medium-high with CO2 as well. So opinions and answers would be wonderful!!!

Basefrog said:
Grr.. You are making me want to buy a 4th tank haha! How about a moss scape with shrimp?

That sounds pretty sweet:). I'll have to look into that especially because I won't need high lighting:). And sorry:). Actually I'm not because MTS is addictive. A small shrimp bowl is a good compromise:)

It took me a while to learn as well! I meant it in the Multiple Tank Syndrome way.

Ah I see.. Once you pop you just can't stop ;)

But yeah a Moss scape would be cool and low maintenance which is always good!

I think that might be amazing. However I may add some more plants than just moss. But I think that this tank will be awesome!

AquaKai said:
Thanks TankersJ and Coursair! It was great info and I like the ideas!

Ok, so today after I got done with OGTs (ohio graduation test-they're AWFUL, most boring thing ever!!!!) I thought about all of the things that you were telling me about. I think that I've created a fairly long and good list of possibilities, some of which aren't even aquatic...

So here's the list:
1. Scarlet Badis (Dario dario)
Eats Shrimp
2. Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)
Does not play well with others, NIPPY

3. Clown Killifish (Epiplatys annulatus)
Tiny, ok w other Nano fish

4. Lyretail Killifish ( Aphyosemion australe)
Lovely, but chose proper tankmates

5. Mexican Dwarf Orange Crayfish (Cambarellus patzcuarensis)
Good with fish but will stalk Shrimp

6. Betta(s)~ Maybe go for a wild kind. That'd be fun:)
Species tank is best

7. Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)~ I could find these around me!
Cool water I think

8. Bee Shrimp/Crystal Red Shrimp/Any Neocaridina
Devote the tank to them. They can live w Otos and Dwarf Cories, but most other fish will eat them or esp the babies.

9. Bumblebee Gobies (Brachygobius
Brackish I think ?

10. A gecko/anole/frog/toad... There's a lot here!
11. African Dwarf Frogs (Hymenochirus boettgeri)
12. Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margarutatus)
Love mine. May eat baby shrimp, fine w adults

13. Sparkling Gouramis (Trichopsis pumilus)
Shrimp hunter, only calm Nano fish tank mates

14. Try going saltwater:) EXPENSIVE

15. Some kind of pencil fish...
read up on them, look nice.
16. Espei Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei)
17. Harlequin Rasboras (Rasbora heteromorpha)
18. Pygmy/Dwarf/Tiny Corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus, Corydoras Habrosus, Corydora Hastatus)
LOVE mine, need a group and clean water, prefer rounded sand.

19. Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa)

20. Fiddler Crabs ((peri)sesarma bidens)
Escape artists, need land area

21. Albino Clawed Frogs (Xenopus Laevis)
Poop machines, too small a tank

So... That's my list, for now:) Any opinions? Can I cross anything out?

Now onto more of my questions:

~Substrate:
Should I do:
*Soil with gravel
*Soil with sand
*Flourite
*Eco-Complete

Lighting:
I have no clue. I kind of want to do rimless but I'm not sure about lighting. LED would be pretty sweet to do as well. I'd like to have medium-high lighting.

I think that's all for now. Thanks!

See above notes*

I like Nano fish so I can have more of them in a small space. Heavily planting your tank will help cycle it faster. Add some stems or Java Ferns to suck up bad stuff faster.

If you have no Shrimp experience, try Red Cherries first. Much easier and hardier. CRS are pickier on water parameters and a bit more delicate for newbies.

I have Threadfin Rainbows as my centerpiece fish. They are Shrimp safe.

Back
Top Bottom