Redoing my 90G [on a roll now]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well............the water is going in soon after I get it moved.

I'm hoping to get it moved sometimes late next week.

We got the light installed this weekend. I decided to just rest it on some metal shelf brackets.....it would have been a brain dead move to bolt it to the joists.

Anyway......I got my brotherinlaw and my father coming over to help move the tank on wednesday. Pray for us!! :lol:

Welp, we got the tank moved last night and today I dumped some gravel in and filled it up.

Whooohoooo!!........No leaks!!!
I hope it stays that way :)

Anyhow........here are some pics:

I used aquariumplants.com substrate.....just a bit more than one bucket.
0.jpg

I didn't rinse it first.......
1.jpg

So it caught fire.........lol......well.......it looks like it did anyway.
2.jpg

It's still very cloudy......I'm running two filters for now.
3.jpg

Someone wanna stop by and clean up my basement for me?
4.jpg

I'm not sure how this light is gonna work out.
Seems like it could be brighter......but I'll be able to judge better when the water clears up.......by tomorrow I'd say.........I hope. :)

Well I tossed in a few plants today.
Nothing special but here are a couple shots anyhoo!

It was all nice and clear...
5.jpg

but that didnt last long.
7.jpg

I started a fishless cycle yesterday.......using 4 med shrimp.
I'll throw in some ramshorns in a couple days.
Both filters are established so I figure a couple weeks and she'll be cycled.

So far so good

Glitch, great work on the tank project so far.. I have only just joined this forum and read this thread from the beginning. gee, im pleased I did'nt have to wait while you shelved the project for a while...:)

Anyway a friendly hello to all from Australia !!

I think if you erect a hinged fold up panel above the fish tank so that the tank is fully enclosed into the wall it will direct the light more into the tank giving you better lighting as well as appeal. The panel could be then lifted each time you need access to the tank to do maintenance etc.

Have you thought about whether it will be a planted tank ? you may need to get more plants into the tank (50% subtrate) during the cycle to keep the tank from getting algae build-up... Also the height between the light and the bottom of the tank will be important as you may need to get a few globes in their to reach 2-3 WPG (Watts per US-gallon) (calc, WPG = (total watts of all globes) divided by total Volume of tank in US Gallons.

Oh, by the way, your bar and pool table looks great. I wish I had an area like that to get away and work on project such as this... great effort..

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone........it's been forever since I updated this thread huh.
I've let this tank go like all my other tanks. The past few months has been a bit tough for me. I don't know if I mentioned this before but I'm a Paraplegic and recently I have had some more problems with my back. This kept me from keeping my tanks up. But recently I've found what seems to be a solution to my back pain so I'm back in the game now. :) All my tanks are slowly getting back to where I'd like them to be.

Enuf background.......now back to this tank. heh.
This tank has been setup for nearly a year now and is in the worst condition of all my tanks cuz I don't get to it on a daily basis.
I've got a 48" T5 Aqualight 56w on it which is running for just 6 hours a day to help keep it from getting completely out of control.

The tank is stocked with a half dozen otos, pink ramshorns, a few yellow shrimp, but the tiger shrimp are the happiest occupants. I started with 30 and now I've got at least a few hundred and that suprises me simply cuz my water is very hard.

My biggest frustration with this tank is that it's been contaminated with some moss and it has spread over a lot of the background. I keep pulling it off but I can never get it all. I've spent so much time on the background, the last thing I want is to have it covered with moss. :(

Anyone know of a way to kill it without hurting anything else?
I was thinking of squirting excel right on the moss. I've heard it will kill some plants if injected full strength right on the plant.

So the moss is my biggest problem but my BBA is a close second.
I had it in this tank before the redo and it's back in full force.
The only reason I have the BBA in second place is that I have figured out how to control it. Double dosing Excel is slowly bringing it under control.
I could up the doses but I don't want to risk disturbing the breeding cycle of the shrimps.

Well, that's enuf for now.......I don't have any current pictures but I'll work on that.....and maybe I can find some old pics. I know I took a some a few months back.

Glitch, great work on the tank project so far.. I have only just joined this forum and read this thread from the beginning. gee, im pleased I did'nt have to wait while you shelved the project for a while...:)

Anyway a friendly hello to all from Australia !!

I think if you erect a hinged fold up panel above the fish tank so that the tank is fully enclosed into the wall it will direct the light more into the tank giving you better lighting as well as appeal. The panel could be then lifted each time you need access to the tank to do maintenance etc.

Have you thought about whether it will be a planted tank ? you may need to get more plants into the tank (50% subtrate) during the cycle to keep the tank from getting algae build-up... Also the height between the light and the bottom of the tank will be important as you may need to get a few globes in their to reach 2-3 WPG (Watts per US-gallon) (calc, WPG = (total watts of all globes) divided by total Volume of tank in US Gallons.

Oh, by the way, your bar and pool table looks great. I wish I had an area like that to get away and work on project such as this... great effort..

Nomadz, Welcome to AA!!
I'm glad you've enjoyed the thread.
Thx for the lighting idea but I took the easy road and just put a T5 strip directly on top of the tank. :) It's suiting my needs for now.

This and ALL my other tanks are and will always be planted. I was converted to planted by the works of travis simonson and the rest of the masters here on AA years ago and I'll never go back :)

Ah yes, my game room......I love it too......it's my sanctuary :)

Despite the issues that you've run into from neglecting the aquarium, I'm sure it still looks rather nice. I look forward to pictures in all of its planted glory.

I just had an idea on the moss. Absolutely no idea if it'll work or not especially since I haven't seen recent pictures of how it's planted. Would it be possible to take some clean black plastic and cover the rock work completely for a few days? You could use some rocks to weight it down at the bottom and then wrap it up and around the back and sides. Basically just do a prolonged blackout of just the rockwork. Since Moss chokes itself out when it gets too thick, this might work to get rid of it as long as there aren't any other plants in the way.

Hi Joy,

It looks ok......and the moss isn't totally out of control at this point.
It's just that I've seen how moss can easily take over a tank and I still can't work on this tank the way I'd like. It's a bit higher than my other tanks and my standup wheelchair isn't working anymore so I really can't get my hands in the tank.
I can only use my many sets of tongs to pull out the loose pieces of moss.
It's a bit tedious.

Your idea does seem like it might work, if I could work with more than just tongs and the shrimp are living inside the background so even if they could get out I'm sure most would be affected by the lack of circulation back there.

Thanks for the idea but I think that will have to put that last on the list.

****......I was lookin for a pic to put up but my computer is having a brain fart.....I gotta reboot.....I'll find a pic later.

EDIT: OK it's later......I couldn't find any old pics so I took a couple new ones.
3-08-full.jpg

As you can see here, the bba is still pretty bad and the moss is on it's way.
3-08-bba-moss.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom