Rhizomes? (Again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I submitted a thread very similar to this involving my java ferns. Anyway, I planted my java fern yesterday, and I was wondering If I did it correctly (by that I mean rhizome not in the substrate). Here are some pictures. Please tell my what you think.

image-3452420335.jpg

image-454297786.jpg

Thanks!

Try pulling it up very very gently just a bit as I can't see the rhizome. You only want the white roots planted in the substrate.

In picture #2 you can sort of see the rhizome peeking out, so while it may be a good idea to bring it up bit, I doubt it would be detrimental to the plant if it was kept in the current position. I have kept Java ferns healthy even with completely buried rhizomes - not that I really advise doing that, but I don't think that the rhizome-above-the-substrate is really as huge of a deal as some make it out to be. Since they can be so hard to plant when anchoring just the roots, some people will bury the rhizome for just a couple weeks, so the roots can take hold of the substrate, and then raise it back up. I have done that as well on some Java ferns that just don't want to be planted.

In picture #2 you can sort of see the rhizome peeking out, so while it may be a good idea to bring it up bit, I doubt it would be detrimental to the plant if it was kept in the current position. I have kept Java ferns healthy even with completely buried rhizomes - not that I really advise doing that, but I don't think that the rhizome-above-the-substrate is really as huge of a deal as some make it out to be. Since they can be so hard to plant when anchoring just the roots, some people will bury the rhizome for just a couple weeks, so the roots can take hold of the substrate, and then raise it back up. I have done that as well on some Java ferns that just don't want to be planted.

Thank you! I just got 3 balloon mollies today and they love the java fern! :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom