Ridin' Dirty: Dallascowboys16 tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, the plants that I can so far identify in the setup are hygro pinnatifida, crypt balansae, staurogyne repens, java fernwindelov, needle leaf java fern, some kind of moss on the wood, bacopa carolina, giant hair grass, various crypts, and it looks like some hygro. i might borrow a few plants from that list and incorporate a few of my existing plants like my kliener bar sword, an amazon sword, some purple cabomba, and my big piece of mopani with windelov all over it (will probably chop up this piece into 3-4 pieces.

Ok, Merry Christmas Everybody! The BML is coming tomorrow!:band: Been waiting two years for this light and its here tomorrow! :eek: Also, built a DIY spray bar and finished painting it yesterday so that will be installed when the canister goes back inline. Also got an aqua clear 110 for christmas along with 3 killer pieces on manzanita driftwood! will put some pics of the tank up tomorrow after I get it setup again tonight! Thanks for following and Happy Holidays! :flowers:

Ok, we are in business. The plants have gone nuts in the last 3 days and are needing a trimming already. :eek: I picked up 6 albino corys for this tank earlier making my final stocking list 3 angels, 3 apisto cad, 6 albino corys, 12 various tetras (black neon, cardinal, glow light) and 2 Bristle nose plecos. Ill post some pictures tonight, I think the left side is looking pretty good but the right could use a little work. Im still searching for more types of crypts to fill in the middle foreground, maybe some barclaya... Im also looking to buy some limnophila aromatica to fill it in. Whats your guys opinion, Do I put moss on the manzanita or no? Not Java moss for sure but maybe peacock or willow? Im looking for suggestions... The pics will be up tonight. Also, some of the plants I have in there right now will be removed. I needed some nitrate hogs to sponge up the initial spike from the dirt.

Ok, today I went to petsmart and picked up 4 packs of top fin tissue culture packs, 2 star repens, 1 crypt undulata 'red', and 1 crypt balanese. Does anyone have any experience with the star repens cultures? do the stars melt pretty durastically or not really?

I haven't done SR but I have had really good luck with those packs of plants. The only one I had issues with was the AR I got but that was because one (or some) of my fish decided to eat 90% of it the first night I planted it. That said the small fragments left I put in my guppy tank and it is doing fine. All the other plants from them (gel) had virtually no melt and have grown really fast for me

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have good luck with the star repens, though I've heard of melt from different AA members.
I picked up star repens, AR, and Bacopa caroliniana in the top fin gel packs at PetSmart. All three have done well in med-high light and I am trying the stars and bacopa in low light as well. All were VERY tiny at the start but after several weeks to a month they grew to their normal size. I needed to use toothpicks to hold them in place. At the time I was using DIY CO2, API Leafzone, Seachem Flourish Comp, aqua Fertz root pellets and EcoComplete under a Finnex FugeRay

I have good luck with the star repens, though I've heard of melt from different AA members.
I picked up star repens, AR, and Bacopa caroliniana in the top fin gel packs at PetSmart. All three have done well in med-high light and I am trying the stars and bacopa in low light as well. All were VERY tiny at the start but after several weeks to a month they grew to their normal size. I needed to use toothpicks to hold them in place. At the time I was using DIY CO2, API Leafzone, Seachem Flourish Comp, aqua Fertz root pellets and EcoComplete under a Finnex FugeRay

Ok, I hope the dieted substrate gets them off to a good start and they start rooting because I have some boisterous corys that would like to uproot them all if they can! :lol: Also, since the inline did not work out Im using my old glass diffuser under the aquclear 110. Do you guys think its worth it to buy a GLA atomizer? The fine mist that they give off in videos looks much better than what I get from mine. Any thoughts?

Ok, I hope the dieted substrate gets them off to a good start and they start rooting because I have some boisterous corys that would like to uproot them all if they can! :lol:

I'm not sure I'd put my plants on a diet, i over feed in hopes to fatten them up:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure I'd put my plants on a diet, i over feed in hopes to fatten them up:)

Oops:eek: I meant dirted. stupid auto correct :lol. I would on the other hand put my purple cambomba on a diet as it has grown a combined 30 -40 feet in the past week. Its freaking me out. One day Im going to walk upstairs and see a giant cambomba monster crawling out of the tank.

It will be like the aquatic version of little shop of horrors. Audreeeeeeyyyyyy!!!'

Ok, *Houston we have a bait ball* :brows: Just noticed the male and female apistos acting EXTREMELY aggressive and looked at the corner they were defending and bingo... tiny apistos.:eek: Brookster I need some advice on what to do. Will a few make it to adulthood with the mom and dad in the tank or should I make the move and remove them! Thanks! I paid 48 dollars for the bag of 5 of these guys at the auction and would like to get some money back off of these guys! :lol:

Do you want to raise them? If you don't do anything a few may could make it. Mature tanks will have micro bugs for snacking.

Do you want to raise them? If you don't do anything a few may could make it. Mature tanks will have micro bugs for snacking.

Yeah I would like to have some make it. Did you have many make it when you let them raise them in the tank? They have staked out the front left corner of the tank with all of the dwarf sag and roots from the stem plants. its kind of boxed in with the driftwood making a little wall as well. well see if they make it the first night before I do anything. will the parents move the fry around?

They will do a great job but if you want fry you'll need to remove and raise with proper foods and wc's. I left 2 spawn in my main tank and the rest of the barbs and tetras got them all. Than again.. wouldn't be surprised if a couple went into hiding, tough to count in a heavily planted tank.

They will do a great job but if you want fry you'll need to remove and raise with proper foods and wc's. I left 2 spawn in my main tank and the rest of the barbs and tetras got them all. Than again.. wouldn't be surprised if a couple went into hiding, tough to count in a heavily planted tank.

Ok, Ill see if some make it the first night and if they do Ill consider moving them to a ten gallon with a sponge filter. what would you feed? bbs?

Frozen baby brine, Hikari firstbites and de-capped bbs eggs

Frozen baby brine, Hikari firstbites and de-capped bbs eggs

Ok, sounds good. Ill probably just let the parents attempt to raise this spawn and see if they can get a few through it. Next spawn ill be setup and ready for them. (y)

Ok, sounds good. Ill probably just let the parents attempt to raise this spawn and see if they can get a few through it. Next spawn ill be setup and ready for them. (y)

Sounds good, first is usually a crap shoot anyways.

Ok, looks like the female was overwhelmed trying to defend them and they are all gone as of yesterday morning. Im going to setup a spawning tank for them and let the female care for the fry and put the male back into the main tank. On another note the plants are doing awesome, everything has done great and Ive had to do multiple large trims so far. (y)

Ok, This is long over due. The tank is doing awesome and the stems are browning like gang busters. Had to hack out quite a bit of stem growth and these pictures are from 4 or five days ago right after the trim so sorry about the weird look they have :lol:. Running the BML 100% and thee java fern windelov does not ave a speck of BBA on it. :eek: Im in shock, they are typically BBA magnets but in this tank it is one of my fastest growers. OK, heres the link to the album: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Dallascowboys16's Album: 55 gallon 7 months into re-setup :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom