Ridin' Dirty: Dallascowboys16 tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oops:eek: I meant dirted. stupid auto correct :lol. I would on the other hand put my purple cambomba on a diet as it has grown a combined 30 -40 feet in the past week. Its freaking me out. One day Im going to walk upstairs and see a giant cambomba monster crawling out of the tank.

How are the plants doing in the dirt, I have heard root feeders get bangin growth in the dieted tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How are the plants doing in the dirt, I have heard root feeders get bangin growth in the dirted tanks

They are doing awesome. Crypts, swords, and my apontogens are loving it. I think the nutrients are starting to run out though. Im starting DIY root tabs but the growth is still incredible compared to just Eco complete. I was a sceptic prior to trying it but Im a believer now.

They are doing awesome. Crypts, swords, and my apontogens are loving it. I think the nutrients are starting to run out though. Im starting DIY root tabs but the growth is still incredible compared to just Eco complete. I was a sceptic prior to trying it but Im a believer now.

It's about time for a rescape on my ten and I might try it there, the flora max has worked great for 9 months but I can tell growth is slowing down

Do you use a gravel cap or sand cap on the dirt?

It's about time for a rescape on my ten and I might try it there, the flora max has worked great for 9 months but I can tell growth is slowing down

Do you use a gravel cap or sand cap on the dirt?

Im using an eco complete cap on the dirt

Ok, despite the amount of flow from the two filters (Fluval 306 w/ 3ft DIY spray bar and aqua clear 110) Im getting a little bit of film on the surface and Im getting frustrated with it. I might grab an eheim skim 350 today at the LFS to see if it works. Ive seen a lot of the other guys use them so they must be pretty good. Anyone have any input on this?

Zero just got his hooked up .
References and opinions on page 3-4
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/zer0s-40-leagues-under-the-light-339307.html
He ought to be able to give the freshest opinion going!

I have heard of no complaints from users(know a few) but I run surface overlfows for my sumps.
Surface extraction is a fantastic feature for water quality IMO and for me only my breeders and fry tanks don't use it!

Ok, despite the amount of flow from the two filters (Fluval 306 w/ 3ft DIY spray bar and aqua clear 110) Im getting a little bit of film on the surface and Im getting frustrated with it. I might grab an eheim skim 350 today at the LFS to see if it works. Ive seen a lot of the other guys use them so they must be pretty good. Anyone have any input on this?

The Eheim 350 skimmer is a great addition to the planted tank,works great in my 20L..

sit in silence...

The Eheim 350 skimmer is a great addition to the planted tank,works great in my 20L..

sit in silence...

I actually just set mine up after getting it this afternoon. Really impressed. It has awesome flow for a small little appliance! :D Ill Throw up some more pictures of the tank tomorrow on my albums. I am finally getting it closer to where I want it. Once the plants grow in a little more in a few weeks Ill see where the arrangement stands.

I actually just set mine up after getting it this afternoon. Really impressed. It has awesome flow for a small little appliance! :D Ill Throw up some more pictures of the tank tomorrow on my albums. I am finally getting it closer to where I want it. Once the plants grow in a little more in a few weeks Ill see where the arrangement stands.

Do you know what its flow rate is? I couldn't find anything on a Google search.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it!

That tank is looking great. Your Windelov Java Ferns are really beautiful.

Thank you! They are my pride and joy as they were my first aquarium plant ever 4 years ago and they came out a Petco tube with 3 leaves each. Look at them now! In this album you can see them 4 years ago in the old 20 gallon that me my sister and my neighbors kept on our front porch all summer to keep our crawdads and goldfish in! It was my gateway drug to aquariums. :angel: In it you will also see two pics of the first 55 gallon setup after I got it for christmas in 2011 :Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Dallascowboys16's Album: My tank Heres a throwback pic from when I had just set the 55 gallon up in January of this year, a train wreck I know :eek: : Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Dallascowboys16's Album: 55 Gallon throwback pics Once my photo stream updates Ill have new pics of the current setup and Ill need you guys to confirm what I believe is a Potassium deficiency in the Hygro cory. I think my problem is I am only doing potassium sulfate for K but not potassium nitrate (Already enough nitrates I believe, don't want to fry my sensitive hatchets) so Ill just double up on my potassium sulfate and see what happens.

Link takes me to a 10 year old thread:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Speaking of yester year, I remember walking around the school/ and nearby park when I was about 10, with jars of guppies and a bottle of DeChlor trying to find homes for our fancy Guppies babies, noticing your signature, made me chuckle thinking back my youngster days! lol. And Guppies that started it all at my house.

That is amazing to think those Win Jav were just those tiny little bits from the tubes!!!

Great job. CAS auction had a gorgeous gallon bag of them the other night I didn't win them. I love that Java Fern. I have a few little ones I am growing up. If they get to look as good as yours I can only dream!!!

Ok I added some new pics on this album: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Dallascowboys16's Album: Update Pictures 55 gallon Sorry for the grainy pictures, the site compresses them and distorts them pretty good! :face palm: Any way things are good with the tank and I noticed some spawning behavior from the hatchets this morning which is pretty uncommon in captivity so that was cool. Also can someone identify this deficiency? I believe it is potassium as I have not been dosing Potassium Nitrate but have been only dosing Potassium Sulfate. I doubled by Potassium Sulfate dose as recommended by another site because I won't be getting any from the Potassium Nitrate. :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 59
Speaking of yester year, I remember walking around the school/ and nearby park when I was about 10, with jars of guppies and a bottle of DeChlor trying to find homes for our fancy Guppies babies, noticing your signature, made me chuckle thinking back my youngster days! lol. And Guppies that started it all at my house.

That is amazing to think those Win Jav were just those tiny little bits from the tubes!!!

Great job. CAS auction had a gorgeous gallon bag of them the other night I didn't win them. I love that Java Fern. I have a few little ones I am growing up. If they get to look as good as yours I can only dream!!!

Ill be at the fall auction in October so I can just bring you some if you would like! :) I'd bring you a good amount to get started as it can be a slow grower even in optimal conditions.

Some updates.

Plants: The tank is running good with awesome growth from the unknown ludwigia, myrio, and hygro polysperma. I removed the Java Fern windelov and bolbitis on the left side f the tank to leave the space open for another stem or two and for some room to to grow for the Anubias nana 'petite' and the standard anubias nana. Ill post a pic of the new opening and Ill be open to suggestions for a new stem to try there. Im leaning towards bacopa carolina but I think the leaf structure may be too similar to the bacopa monerii. I also planted a couple DIY root tabs under the Star repens to see if it would perk up and it really started a comeback for them after struggling for a little bit.

Fish: The Apistos spawned again after I fed california black worms the day before. I am yet to save any of the fry and usually let nature take its course. Its a big spawn though so well see what happens. Also Im going to have a new acquisition tomorrow that I reserved at the LFS. Im picking up a Farlowella Vittata tomorrow. Ill have some pics of him to put up tomorrow afternoon. Im pumped to get this guy tomorrow! Also, Im going to have to get creative to feed this guy as they can be a little difficult to feed in captivity. Any one have any experience with Repashy super foods? I might buy a pack of the solient green to help feed this guy. I just wanted to see if it lives up to the hype before I fork over the cash.

Equipment: Good news, I got some nifty velcro squares to mount my Solunar controller on my stand for easy access. Bad news, Ive got some real concerns about the structural integrity of the tank. Ive spotted a crack that is about 2-3 inches long running horizontally along the rim of the tank in front of the cross brace. Im getting nervous about it. Its yet to crack all the way through but it is concerning me. What do you guys think? Here are the pictures going Cracked frame, Gap to fill, FTS, Farlowella at LFS:

Attachments

• image1 3.jpg
    image1 3.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 65
  • image1 2.jpg
    image1 2.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image1 5.jpg
    image1 5.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 63
Hey yeah get that crack before it is to late!
A clamp to pull the gap back together and a good brand epoxy will be way cheaper and easier then replacing the rim IMO!
Don't waste time .
First thing tomorrow IMO!
Jumped on the "emergency" sorry,
Tank looks great and dig the farlowella!

Back
Top Bottom