RIVERCATS 220G Transformation Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the offer Dan but unless you have about 12-20 stems, which is what I need for that area, I'll have to pass. The one drawback of such a large tank is the amount of plants you need to get it properly planted.

Well I have about 10 or so stems...lol I guess that won't work.Hope you find enough of the ones you like :)

Wouldn't 10 stems be good? I mean these are fast growing stem plants. You'll have 20 in no time.

I probably would but since I need at least 1 or 2 other plants I'm hoping to get enough to make an order with reduced shipping... notice I say HOPE. I've also been considering Ludwigia Ovalis, every tried any of that? I just have a bunch of idea's running around in my head but just not quite sure which direction to go in. I do like that Ludwigia "Cuba" tho.

Hey Dan PM me and let me know some details on the Ludwigia Cuba you have if you don't mind. Like Brain said I could at least get some started that way. Thanks!

Dan how is your Rotala Magenta doing? Got any pic's? The stuff I got in is alot smaller in size than I thought it would be but it has great color developing. Just wondering if yours looks like mine which is too short to get a good picture of.

Dan how is your Rotala Magenta doing? Got any pic's? The stuff I got in is alot smaller in size than I thought it would be but it has great color developing. Just wondering if yours looks like mine which is too short to get a good picture of.

It's doing well! Mine got about a foot tall so I trimmed it a bit and replanted, and it too is developing nicered color to it :) the leaves are closed right now BC the lights were just off, but the new shoots are growing fast!

23hk5ti.jpg

azcmiw.jpg

2k0p2.jpg

Subscribed. Love your tank and look forward to the triming tips.

Dan just wanted to be sure my R. Magenta looked the same, I was under the impression that it had larger leaves. Thanks for the pic's.

Ztigris thanks! Trimmings are quite a ways off since they are quite small right now.. lol!

Rivercats, You told me you had re-scaped But I don't know how I missed the thread!!!! The tank look great! I'm following also. I Hope the swap some plants for some rams! ;);)

The Fissidens looks awesome! It's definitely one of the prettier mosses and deserves to be featured lol.

I added some to my tank over the weekend. Here's to hoping I can get it looking anything like yours :dance:

Rivercats, You told me you had re-scaped But I don't know how I missed the thread!!!! The tank look great! I'm following also. I Hope the swap some plants for some rams! ;);)

Right now it's hard to see anything but a mass of little plants but in the end I think it's going to be pretty awesome, at least the picture I have in my head is :brows:. Some of the Hydrotriche hottoniiflora stems have grown about 2-3" in less than a week and both the Hygrophila Pinnatifida and the Ludwigia peruensis which came with emmersed growth already has new submerged leaves which really makes me happy. I planted Proserpinaca palustris months ago and it's still dinking around changing. Plus I still have to decide on a few more plants to fill in where the Val's at as it's going. Down the road I should have some good cutting if all goes well.

Speaking of rams, my Bolivian pair in the 220g has been hiding for a couple of weeks so I'm thinking they're either spawning or have a few little fry in the jungle back there. Fry never make it in the community tank but makes me wonder.

The Fissidens looks awesome! It's definitely one of the prettier mosses and deserves to be featured lol.

I added some to my tank over the weekend. Here's to hoping I can get it looking anything like yours :dance:

The funny thing about my Fissidens is I didn't put it in the tank. It just started growing on that piece of DW so had to have had some come in with some plants and it took hold on that DW. Now it's almost covering it and it is my favorite moss. Now that the crypt isn't blocking so much of the DW and moss you can really appreciate it. I'll have to get a picture of the entire piece of DW so you can see what it looks like almost covered. I also noticed a tiny spot on the other big DW which again I didn't put there. Hope yours does good.

The funny thing about my Fissidens is I didn't put it in the tank. It just started growing on that piece of DW so had to have had some come in with some plants and it took hold on that DW. Now it's almost covering it and it is my favorite moss. Now that the crypt isn't blocking so much of the DW and moss you can really appreciate it. I'll have to get a picture of the entire piece of DW so you can see what it looks like almost covered. I also noticed a tiny spot on the other big DW which again I didn't put there. Hope yours does good.

That's pretty cool. I'd love to see the fissidens in all its glory on that DW

I'll try to get a good picture within the week and post it. It is pretty cool looking considering it did it all by itself.

can you recommend a good reading place to learn about planting freshwater? im now officially hooked on the visual and have NO clue of any names or how they grow, what light etc. Any recommendations so i can do my due dilligence on reading would be so appreciated :) your now my planted tank yoda !

Phish got that question but something else you need to read about lighting especially as it will determine the type of plants you can use in your setup. Also go to sites like AquariumPlant.com and when you have time sit and go through the different plant sections and click on specific plants and read about them and their requirements. Then if they interest you, write down thier names and google them to get even more info on them. I always research plants I'm interested in that I've never grown before even going so far as to check out pictures of what they look like in planted tanks. That way I'm never really disappointed in what I chose since I've done my homework.

Phish got that question but something else you need to read about lighting especially as it will determine the type of plants you can use in your setup. Also go to sites like AquariumPlant.com and when you have time sit and go through the different plant sections and click on specific plants and read about them and their requirements. Then if they interest you, write down thier names and google them to get even more info on them. I always research plants I'm interested in that I've never grown before even going so far as to check out pictures of what they look like in planted tanks. That way I'm never really disappointed in what I chose since I've done my homework.

Here is a thread that will help you with lighting.
Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

Back
Top Bottom