RIVERCATS 220G Transformation Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking forward to seeing the picture of driftwood and moss. The two make a nice combination IMO.

Today it's been 1 week since I planted the last of the new plants including the Dwarf 4 Leaf Clover. It came in emmersed growth form which has to be cut off before planting in the tank which I did and tonight I noticed I have the first immersed growth leaves growing in. That made me really happy. Then even better is about 3-4 weeks ago I was sure my over 3 year old male GBR had died somewhere in the 220g and low and behold today he appeared out of the jungle! This is the only drawback of such a large very heavily planted tank... you may not see some fish for weeks at a time! All the new plants are doing quite well so this has been a good day!

I am so glad that all of your plants are doing well, you deserve it, Janis. I am also happy that your GBR finally came out, yay! :dance:

I think that may be cool though, not seeing the fish everyday. :)

It could be like a game trying to find them, or a treat when they appear. LOL

I don't mind not seeing fish for a couple of days but when they can disappear for weeks it can get alittle nerve racking!

I think I hit a nerve with my pair of gbr in my 40b, they plucked out every single clump of hair grass I "tried" to transplant. I just hope they don't continue their rampant ways when my new plants arrive!
I'm glad to hear your transformation is going smoothly rivercats.

I think I hit a nerve with my pair of gbr in my 40b, they plucked out every single clump of hair grass I "tried" to transplant. I just hope they don't continue their rampant ways when my new plants arrive!
I'm glad to hear your transformation is going smoothly rivercats.

That can always be an issue, for about 3-4 months my GBR's and Angels went in eat and destroy mode on my Pogostemon helferi (Downoi) and only left me stems which thankfully grew new plantlets. They were even pulling them out of the substrate. Thankfully when I started leaving the cooked, peeled zucchini strips in daily, and started adding a few cooked, deshelled, smashed peas with the food every morning (which all my rams go nuts over peas) I have finally gotten the rams and angels to leave the plants alone. You might want to try a different tactic like that to see if it helps. Also if it's just one pair you might want to try planting the DHG in a different area that isn't in "thier" territory. I've learned to get real creative with plants due to destructive fish. It's like me vs. the yo-yo loaches right now trying to get my HC established.

Definitely! I'm glad he finally appeared for you though! :)

Now I just need my Bolivian pair to appear since they've been out of sight for over 2 weeks. I'm sure they are spawning which is why but I do like to see them to be sure they are fine.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. Peas is the one treat they haven't recieved since I moved. :banghead:
Your the best RC!
My fish are just tryin to tell me somethin and I've been to sidetracked to see it. Duh
I'll be defrosting some as soon as I get off work!

I've gone to making about 3 ounces of peas at a time. I microwave the frozen peas for 3 minutes in a cup of water, let them sit about 15-20 minutes, then deshell them. I smush them lightly when I put them in the tank and then store the rest in the icebox. Then all I have to do is heat a few for a few seconds each morning. I found this is easiest for me.

Both the male and female popped out at different times for a split second during feeding. So did the GBR's. Thing is they all keep going back in the same thick planting of Rotala Macrandra & Rotala Wachillii. If I didn't know better I'd swear they have a communial spawning back there or both sets of rams are helping to raise fry since it would take at least 4 to maybe keep a small number alive in a community tank like the 220. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen and there is no way I can remotely see what's going on back in there.

That would never fit in the plants. My plantings are wall to wall thick. The only thing that would fit is a micro camera on a stick that I could poke down through them. I don't have a typical planted tank, it's fashioned more like a Dutch scape which means nothing but plants grown side by side with no space between any of them.

that was mostly in jest :)
Yes in your tank it prob wouldnt fit.

been thinking about getting one to setup in my tank and streaming it online.

I would really love to have a mini one since I can't see alot of what goes on in the tank with so many plants. Not to mention it would be great to be able to find fish that disappear for a few days at a time!

When I first started with rams I had 2 pair in a 55g, they staked out sites at opposite ends but it still wasn't enough room imo. So to hear of 2 pair in the same little forest is odd to say the least. Who knows, you may be right in assuming they've teamed up for fry survival sakes. I wish I knew what my fish are thinking sometimes. Maybe they're more intelligent than we give them credit!

They aren't fighting or chasing each other which is strange in itself but the fact they are all taking very quick turns popping out for a couple seconds and then they go back to that big plant grouping. No one has any injuries so it really makes me wonder.

The Germans and Bolivians normally don't do well together which is what has me so baffled. I know none of my Germans over the years have done anything like that so don't know if it has something to do with them being two different types of rams. It's just one of those unexplained things we'll never know the answer to but will be interesting if down the road I find a couple little rams in the tank. Most fry never make it with the angels in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom