Should i be running CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm kind of new to the entire planted tanks,
Should I be running a DIY co2 setup in my 55g tank?
Here are some specs of my tank
55 gallon
2 t5 HO 6700k 54w bulbs
Fluval c4

image-3887316907.jpg

Are you having algae issues? I'd say you are at low-medium light right now. If your plants are showing deficiencies then I would consider starting to dose ferts and inject CO2. Typically CO2 injection is not required until you hit the 2.5wpg mark, then it becomes a balancing act.

meegosh said:
Are you having algae issues? I'd say you are at low-medium light right now. If your plants are showing deficiencies then I would consider starting to dose ferts and inject CO2. Typically CO2 injection is not required until you hit the 2.5wpg mark, then it becomes a balancing act.

Like the thing is that I'm starting to notice and increase of algae growth on the leaves of the plants .

What kind of algae is it? Brown/Green? Hairy looking or like a slime? Is it just on the leaves of the plants or on decor and substrate also?

meegosh said:
What kind of algae is it? Brown/Green? Hairy looking or like a slime? Is it just on the leaves of the plants or on decor and substrate also?

Yea it's a green like hair algae, and so far I have only noticed it on the leaves of the plants. Here is a picture:

image-237337580.jpg

I would agree that you are right at the borderline of needing CO2 supplementation and possibly ferts to help your plants out compete the algae.

I'd say if you are seeing a little hair algae, it is probably because of excess light or nitrates. Those have both caused me to get hair algae in the past. However, I'm no expert with T5HO lighting so take any of my advice about HO's with a colossal grain of salt. What are your nitrates?

adadkins1 said:
I would agree that you are right at the borderline of needing CO2 supplementation and possibly ferts to help your plants out compete the algae. Knowing the algae type will help us diagnose your issue.

Ok thanks, I should also add that I have recently added the t5 HO lights (3 days ago) and I have just started noticing this as soon as the lights were introduced.

Adding HO lighting does make a difference. When I added them on my 125, I had an algae outbreak but after a month or so it started to clear up. Your tank has to find a new "norm" and that may take a while. Just keep scraping and clean leaves as often as they need it. Look into Sicce Life 2 for CO2 supplementation; very effective and inexpensive too.

mohican said:
Adding HO lighting does make a difference. When I added them on my 125, I had an algae outbreak but after a month or so it started to clear up. Your tank has to find a new "norm" and that may take a while. Just keep scraping and clean leaves as often as they need it. Look into Sicce Life 2 for CO2 supplementation; very effective and inexpensive too.

Alright thanks a lot for your advice

Back
Top Bottom