Should I swap out my substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigTuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have fluval stratum. It's lowering my pH to low 6s. The water out of my tap is between 7.2-7.4 should I keep fighting with the stratum?

Attached are pics of the tank which I'm having some algae issue but that's besides the point. The other pic is the ph of the water in the tank.

I was thinking about getting black diamond blasting sand. Would that be better?

IMG_8870.jpgIMG_8834.jpg

Leave a glass of water sitting out overnight and check the ph in the morning.

Let us know what it is then and we can give more educated advice.

I will add, I loved my black diamond blasting sand. Just dont use it if you want cory cats.

Or use bdbs with shrimp. Several people have mentioned some issues like killing shrimp over time and oily film from it.

Just remember that if you change the sand over to a new substrate you will possibly experience a mini cycle, so what I would recommend is to rinse the filter media with treated or old pwc tank water a couple weeks before the substrate change and wait to rinse it again until a couple weeks after.

Feeding more lightly after the substrate change too just in case there is a mini cycle, or just test every day to every other day to make sure all is well for about 7-10 days after the substrate change.

Or use bdbs with shrimp. Several people have mentioned some issues like killing shrimp over time and oily film from it.

Just remember that if you change the sand over to a new substrate you will possibly experience a mini cycle, so what I would recommend is to rinse the filter media with treated or old pwc tank water a couple weeks before the substrate change and wait to rinse it again until a couple weeks after.

Feeding more lightly after the substrate change too just in case there is a mini cycle, or just test every day to every other day to make sure all is well for about 7-10 days after the substrate change.
I had an absurd shrimp colony on my 55g. Just gotta wash it till its clean, and then wash it some more.

I had an absurd shrimp colony on my 55g. Just gotta wash it till its clean, and then wash it some more.

Maybe it is dependent on if you get a scoop from the top of the pile or the bottom (or something). Maybe a larger tank had more water volume to dilute whatever could have been an issue. Shrimp issues were noted from smallish /nano tanks. No idea really. ( lol, I am the one who got a mushy, crumbly, moldy smelling new bag of real ADA Amazonia in the mail :rolleyes:) I like garnet sand blasting sand as a substrate, light rinsing.

Good idea about washing bdbs really well.

Leave a glass of water sitting out overnight and check the ph in the morning.

Let us know what it is then and we can give more educated advice.

I will add, I loved my black diamond blasting sand. Just dont use it if you want cory cats.

Why don't you use it anymore?

Maybe it is dependent on if you get a scoop from the top of the pile or the bottom (or something). Maybe a larger tank had more water volume to dilute whatever could have been an issue. Shrimp issues were noted from smallish /nano tanks. No idea really. ( lol, I am the one who got a mushy, crumbly, moldy smelling new bag of real ADA Amazonia in the mail :rolleyes:) I like garnet sand blasting sand as a substrate, light rinsing.

Good idea about washing bdbs really well.

Thanks for the tip if I do get it I'll be sure to rinse it very well!!

If you aren't using RO water, or plan on keeping the tank around for more than 1.5 years,

I would switch... You'll be battling the Stratum for a while causing pH swings, and it turns to mush starting at about a year, and turns really really dirty.

Nothing wrong with Blasting Sand, corys are perfectly fine with it in my opinion. It's a very highly recommended substrate.

If you aren't using RO water, or plan on keeping the tank around for more than 1.5 years,

I would switch... You'll be battling the Stratum for a while causing pH swings, and it turns to mush starting at about a year, and turns really really dirty.

Nothing wrong with Blasting Sand, corys are perfectly fine with it in my opinion. It's a very highly recommended substrate.

Perfect! Thanks ZxC!

That's what I was thinking. Gonna go out and buy a bag. Thanks guys!!

Back
Top Bottom