Shrimp in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

md7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 10 gallons tank with an arowana, and a shrimp in it. I used to have fake plants inside the tank but yesterday i changed all the fake plants to live plants. This morning, i woke up and i see lots of leaves and i can see the shrimp sitting at a plant and i can't really tell what it is doing there. whether it's eating the plant or else..

can i keep the shrimp inside the newly planted tank?

i don't really know bout the name of the shrimp but it really looks like a lobster to me. the size of it is about 4-5 inches and the colour is brownish red.

additional info: i put some liquid fertilizer and provide CO2 with my home made CO2 injection inside the tank

If its a crayfish they will eat anything literally. We used to use catfood to catch them. To distract them from your plants I would put in some other vegetable foods & perhaps some bits of meat or cheese (not too much though you don't want to get to much nitrogen in the water)

If its a crayfish they will eat anything literally. We used to use catfood to catch them. To distract them from your plants I would put in some other vegetable foods & perhaps some bits of meat or cheese (not too much though you don't want to get to much nitrogen in the water)

i asked a friend of mine and he said that it's a lobster..
anyway..can i use the same method to keep it away from the plants?

it seems kinda agressive to me...whenever there's fish near it, it will try to catch them...

i've surfed the net for crayfish... yeap...it's a crayfish...
i've had it with this crayfish...it keep on pinching on all other living things inside that tank.. i think i just wanna put it inside a pond outside...

if you dont want the fish to be eaten you better take it out unless it's big enough to take care of itself which would mean that it has to be several times bigger than the lobster which would also mean that the arowana is big enough to eat the lobster :p

i think the arowana can take care of himself...it's still small though (the arowana).. just about 4-5 inches.. but he's a fast swimmer..:) and i think the crayfish is afraid of him because the crayfish swim away whenever the arowana comes near it... :mrgreen:

i dont know much about arowana but i think any fish in the same small tank as a crayfish, would be a bad idea

Crayfish are pretty much have to be kept in a species only tank. They usually will end up killing your fish, or your fish will kill them as stated above.

i think i'm gonna put that crayfish into other tank.. thanks for all of your ideas guys...:)

Your Arowana will grow too large for your 10 gallon tank. Get a bigger tank or return the arowana please. Just a thought.....because if you don't he will eventually die at a very young age due to lack of space.... :(

IMO, crayfish with plants and fish equals bad news. They will shred your plants and eat your fish, unless the fish is big and aggressive, then they become food. This is from my personal experience with crayfish, but others have successfully kept crayfish with fish and plants.

Ya Arowana get very big. I was looking around my lfs last week and a guy had sold a pair of arowana to the store cause he had to move or something. The arowana pair were almost 3 feet long each.

Jw, but what kind of arowana is it? And if fed well the arowana will need a much larger tank very quickly. An adult arowana should be kept in a 100 gallon minimum.

Back
Top Bottom