So I picked up a new light for my ten gal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FinkAlmighty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got the best light strip I could buy ( in this case the best being the most expensive.. I really have no idea ) and I'm not sure if it will be good enough for plants once I finally transition my tank fully.

Its a power-glo 18'' aquarium lamp.

It reads:

High intensity aquarium lamp 18,000K Promotes freshwater plants, coral, and inverts. 15W.

I think I might just be paranoid but it doesn't seem any brighter then my light fixture that came with the hood. Is that even the issue? I don't know.
I'm just following the guides I'm finding on the good ole interweb.

Did I get a good light? The box would suggest I did, but I want reassurance.

I would have advised a good old cheap 5000K or 6500K bulb that you could have picked up in the light bulb isle of any department or hardware store.. It would have done just as well if not better then the expensive 18000K bulb.. Im wondering if you can return it? the bulbs I am talking about couldnt be $3-4

I think I might just be paranoid but it doesn't seem any brighter then my light fixture that came with the hood. Is that even the issue?
They're both 15w NO flourescents, so you're not paranoid :)

Did I get a good light? The box would suggest I did, but I want reassurance.
Does your old hood have a reflector? How about returning the light and ordering 2x13w AHSupply Bright Kit? You may want their Deluxe kit, which includes an excellent reflector. People here can answer questions you have if you're apprehensive about a retrofit. AHSupply also sells bulbs from 5500K-10000K, and enclosures.

It wasn't that expensive so I think I'll just keep it. Of course thats only if it will work for what I'm doing that is...

It will work well enough to grow tropical plants though right?

18000K is outside recommended color temp (5000K-10000K), but yeah, probably -- I've only tried in the opposite direction of color temp under low light, and grew anacharis just fine. You always have the option mentioned by green.

plantgeek.net's Plant Guide has a list of low light plants.

*also, it's not as if the bulb only outputs light at the stated temperature. If you want to keep it simple, get recommended temperature range as thats what collective experience says is best.

18000K will probably grow plants fine. but the fact remails you only have 15w over a 10gallon tank, thus you're low light and will be restricted to a handful of plants (per greenmagi's link)

unles you're trying to use actinic bulbs, plant lighting always boils down to intensity...quantity of light vs. quality of light.

Back
Top Bottom