So not liking how this is turning out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know the THR is the culprit as it's too bold but I just cannot bring myself to taking it out, I spent $160.00 approx on the rock, without taking it out is there anything I can do to make the scape look better? Was thinking about mossing parts of the THR to tone it down but I still don't think that would improve the scape.

Plants are growing like crazy had to trim the r. pens twice already, the money wart is growing slow but I read it isn't a fast grower, the crypts are growing good but are still shooting new leaves that are bright red/burgundy but still have holes in them.

Tank update https://imgur.com/a/epWxs

I think it looks great. If anything I would recommend moving the rock towards one side or the other. Dead center isn’t the best vantage. I would soften the edges a bit by placing low growing plants in front of it.

I think it looks great. If anything I would recommend moving the rock towards one side or the other. Dead center isn’t the best vantage. I would soften the edges a bit by placing low growing plants in front of it.
I have crypto Parva in the tank but that stuff is growing extremely slow, I've tried moving it to the side but then the driftwood looks odd lol.

I could go a bit off center remove one piece so it shortens the structure up a bit have my repens and money wart behind it with my crypt reds on the sides maybe spread the right side out a bit, there's 3 big pieces of drift wood over there with anubias attached and try to find a good fitting place for the big branchy piece, but then I run into the problem of not being able to get to the plants behind the THR to trim also not being able to vac.

I'm also worried about having to uproot the plants that are growing great and them dying as I've read once crypts once planted don't move them?

I'm probably over thinking this whole thing tbh lol, I just am trying to make it look really nice with an Open middle so I can vacuum easier and not have a a big rock mount in the middle.

What would you recommend for low growing plants in a low tech tank?

Rick
That is a beautiful rock, but you are wasting it. Why not stuff an Anubias, java fern or what ever plant the AA aqua gardeners suggest into every hole in that rock.
I agree with TM, dead center is not where it should be positioned. Angled inward, one side or the other. Might add a few small accent rocks to be scattered around the tank. Remember nature is perfect imperfection. Symetry and evenness is uncommon.
Take advantage of the "Holey" Rock. Your scape has a lot of potential.

I’ve been very happy with Buce.IMG_3120.jpg

These are about a year and half in the tank and were little sprigs when I got them.

Do you guys think it would affect the structure of the tank to move it to the side as I do have a slight dip in my desk in the middle? Or do you think it would be better to be on the side?

Also would it hurt the plants to move them as I've read don't uproot crypts after planting them

I'm no scaper, so I'll let others help you on that. I do have a bunch of crypts though. I have moved them multiple times with little to no ill effects. When moving them in the same tank I haven't had any issues that I can remember. When moving to another tank, I had some leaves "melt" and others replace them fairly quickly. I think most of the loss was due to different lighting though. Basically.... imo I think you'd be ok moving them. lol

Oh dear lol, this is looking grim, the only way I can put the big branch piece in due to its curved so it don't sprawl up to the top like i want err
Oh dear help me lol https://imgur.com/a/SIGUB

As long as all four corners of your tank are firmly resting against the stand / table top, then the rock weight shouldn't be a worry. Remember, that the pictured rock displaces several gallons of water. Water weighs about 8 lbs. A gallon. You're not adding that much more weight to the tank.
I took a quick pic of my hardscape. The biggest rock weighs at least 50 lbs. It's leaning against a 35 lb. Rock. The big rock, far left is another 35 lb. Rock. The accent rocks weigh between 6 - 10 lbs. A peice. No problems.

Attachments

• 20180308_193159.jpg
    20180308_193159.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 80
I think you just need some red in there. It all looks good the way it is. Can't look at it the way it is too much, look at it how it's gonna look. I'd get some AR's they will add alot of color. And maybe some Bruce mini's in the rock. And maybe a big sword in the left front corner to bring out the rock with a more natural look. There's alot if things you can do.

As long as all four corners of your tank are firmly resting against the stand / table top, then the rock weight shouldn't be a worry. Remember, that the pictured rock displaces several gallons of water. Water weighs about 8 lbs. A gallon. You're not adding that much more weight to the tank.
I took a quick pic of my hardscape. The biggest rock weighs at least 50 lbs. It's leaning against a 35 lb. Rock. The big rock, far left is another 35 lb. Rock. The accent rocks weigh between 6 - 10 lbs. A peice. No problems.
Looks good, I love the rock
I only have 21 lbs total I did move it as the corners and most of the edges are supported just a slight dip In the very middle, I'll see how I like this after the tank clears up sigh lol.

I think you just need some red in there. It all looks good the way it is. Can't look at it the way it is too much, look at it how it's gonna look. I'd get some AR's they will add alot of color. And maybe some Bruce mini's in the rock. And maybe a big sword in the left front corner to bring out the rock with a more natural look. There's alot if things you can do.
Sorry, not Bruce plant buce plant. They are pretty neat.

Sorry, not Bruce plant buce plant. They are pretty neat.
I have an Amazon on the far right back corner i dare not to move, it started from 2 leaves and half dead to 40 and growing tall I brought it back to life, I however did throw out my flame leaf as the the roots were rotted heaves would just fall off if I touched them and I honestly have no room for another big bushy plant not to mention the plant would just not grow, its supposed to be a tall plant it never reached over 3"

I hope I didn't kill my other pants by uprooting them and replanting I'll be Hella bummed.

I have an Amazon on the far right back corner i dare not to move, it started from 2 leaves and half dead to 40 and growing tall I brought it back to life, I however did throw out my flame leaf as the the roots were rotted heaves would just fall off if I touched them and I honestly have no room for another big bushy plant not to mention the plant would just not grow, its supposed to be a tall plant it never reached over 3"

I hope I didn't kill my other pants by uprooting them and replanting I'll be Hella bummed.
Nothing alittle root tab can't fix. It looks good. It just takes some time to capture the look your wanting. I'm working on mine. I still have alot to do. Getting the plants moved around to spots I want them to be is hard to decide,I know how it is to move them. But think as long as your careful to not break the roots it Will be fine.

Nothing alittle root tab can't fix. It looks good. It just takes some time to capture the look your wanting. I'm working on mine. I still have alot to do. Getting the plants moved around to spots I want them to be is hard to decide,I know how it is to move them. But think as long as your careful to not break the roots it Will be fine.
With the repens roots aren't a big deal as you cut them off when you first plant them anyways (I cut the stem right below a root just to be safe and trimmed the roots small) I did the same process tonight as the roots were about 8" long sigh
I'm all Out of root tabs and plants actually absorb more nutrients through the water than the root but I do root tabs to do both, I had no root tabs in my tank and the roots as you can see in the picture were huge

I just got some pink Rotala indica stems. But I gotta move them before they start doing good, if they do. I doubt they keep the pink color. But I do have some new growth. All I did with those is ties them to alittle weight loosely and stuck them in the ground. I only did that cause I had to get them in and didn't want my fish to pull them up. They seem to love a few of them. Lol! Brats!

I just got some pink Rotala indica stems. But I gotta move them before they start doing good, if they do. I doubt they keep the pink color. But I do have some new growth. All I did with those is ties them to alittle weight loosely and stuck them in the ground. I only did that cause I had to get them in and didn't want my fish to pull them up. They seem to love a few of them. Lol! Brats!
Thrive is amazing liquid ferts, it's expensive but has a lot of iron

You don't want to weigh them with anything like metal, i have super fine gravel mine stay and don't get uprooted, once the roots take good they aren't going anywhere

Back
Top Bottom