Starting a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutchz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 18watt lite 10 and 15 gal tanks. Fluorite, filter, and glass cannapy for both. Do i need any thing else? To grow easy beginner plants?

I would recommend you pick up a good liquid fertilizer. Also, a liquid carbon supplement like Excel would be very beneficial though not required.

As far as plants go, you probably have low to medium light. This opens the door for the low light varieties such as crypts, anubias, or java fern. You can also experiment with more medium light plants such as water wisteria, anacharis, or vals, although they may be more hit-or-miss (and the last two won't be compatible with Excel).

I not sure if I will need fertlizer. Also what is the hardiest plant you know. My water is pretty bad 80ppm I mix it with ro water to get nitrates down

I not sure if I will need fertlizer. Also what is the hardiest plant you know. My water is pretty bad 80ppm I mix it with ro water to get nitrates down[/QUOTE

Java ferns and java moss are really good and hardy low light plant. Also try swords.

I thought some one said sword suck up massive amounts of nutrients! And should I do this in a 10 or 15. I have both

Do you think if I did java moss I need liquid frets or frets at all?

Sword plants uptake most of their nutrients from their roots. Some stem plants are great nitrate users, such as Watersprite, and Hygros. Floating plants will also use up some excess nitrates.

Sound pretty cool any other suggestions on it?

Here are a few of the plants that might work for you.

Attachments

• grow out tanks 001.jpg
    grow out tanks 001.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 309
  • grow out tanks 004.jpg
    grow out tanks 004.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 294
  • grow out tanks 008.jpg
    grow out tanks 008.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 254
  • grow out tanks 007.jpg
    grow out tanks 007.jpg