stocking 10G heavily planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi, i was looking for fish that would do well in a 10G planted tank. the tank will mainly be for shrimp.i was looking twards something colorful and active that wont eat shrimp. i am not looking to breed shrimp. *i was thinking about killifish. i fell in love with the coloration. also, there wont be any other fish in the tank. thanks:thanks:

Hey, check out my profile and look at my 10 gallon photo album. It has Furcata rainbows an green tetras with shrimp.

I'm not sure of any killies that will work. I've only tried a few, but fundulus chrysotus didn't work at all for me and the larger topminnows as well.

Pygmy killie would probably work, though, but I haven't tried it yet. I don't have any experience with the non native killies so can't comment on that either.

Hey, check out my profile and look at my 10 gallon photo album. It has Furcata rainbows an green tetras with shrimp.

your tank is beautiful! i was wondering what the blue fish are? it looked like a neon or cardinal, but it didnt have the red underside.

I'm not sure of any killies that will work. I've only tried a few, but fundulus chrysotus didn't work at all for me and the larger topminnows as well.

Pygmy killie would probably work, though, but I haven't tried it yet. I don't have any experience with the non native killies so can't comment on that either.

actually, the pygmy killifish were the ones i was talking about! im hesitant to try them though:confused: what do you think? should i try it? :huh: also, i should probably buy at least 4? :thanks:

In the early evening they get a deep red tint under the blue line. They can also look green as well. These ones are Green Neons which stay tiny, perfect school for a 10g but hard to find.

Thank you! Hope it sparked some ideas!

In the early evening they get a deep red tint under the blue line. They can also look green as well. These ones are Green Neons which stay tiny, perfect school for a 10g but hard to find.

Thank you! Hope it sparked some ideas!

i thought they would be hard to find:( haha what do you think about cherry barbs? maybe a school of 7 or 5? ive heard odd numbers work better for some reason....:thanks:

They are in quarantine now and I. Ant get any good pictures but they look like this. they are my favorite fish now and are sooooooo adorable

Attachments

• 4ef0a96ac78b4.jpeg
    4ef0a96ac78b4.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 76
With my Shrimp I have
Celestial Pearl Danios
Threadfin Rainbows
Scarlet Badis

BUT first I let my Shrimp and plants get established and had lots of Shrimp before I added potential predators. I've never seen my CPDs harass my Shrimp, but I assume they may eat some babies. My adult Shrimp are safe.

I have 8 cpds, 2 sparkling gouramis, 2 otos, and I'm looking into red cherry shrimp. Proboably about 10 or so. Would i t be better to add shrimp before or after the cpds? I know shrimp like a well established tank and my tank just got done cycling so I was gonna put them in after

Tcal01 said:
I have 8 cpds, 2 sparkling gouramis, 2 otos, and I'm looking into red cherry shrimp. Proboably about 10 or so. Would i t be better to add shrimp before or after the cpds? I know shrimp like a well established tank and my tank just got done cycling so I was gonna put them in after

I'm told Sparkling Gouramis may hunt the babies. You can always set up a 5g Shrimp only tank to breed RCS. (red cherry shrimp). The Gouramis and CPDs would only bother babies. Adults should be safe. My Scarlet Badis are micro predators as well. Never seen my 2 hurt shrimp but I know they might eat some newly hatched.

But I had 100+ RCS before I added fish, so I wasn't worried about losing some. My CRS are getting their own 5.5g so they can breed in peace :)

I've never seen adult Shrimp bothered. I've never seen juvies bothered either , but I don't see as many babies, so some predation is occurring AFAIK.

YMMV

I was also thinking about CPD's but I've never seen them at any of my lfs. Today I got a fire red shrimp, 2 tiger shrimp (I have 3 tiger shrimp total) and a CO2 regulator for a paintball gun co2 tank. It works wonderful :') haha I ended up going with chili rasboras. I love them!! They're extremely small though. They're as small as 1 week old fry at adult size. I picked up 4 of them and I will get some more next week with some shrimp.

My 10G Heavily Planted Stock.

4 Chili Raspboras
2 otto's
2 nerite snails
3 tiger shrimp
1 red fire shrimp

I'll post pics tomm:)

Tcal01 said:

I'm pretty sure the gouramis would pick of the shrimp little by little. IMO, I would wait at least another month or two until you get shrimp because shrimp eat algea n such and there might not be enough in a new tank. Just my opinion though:)

Personally, I went into my 10g stock without considering if they would prey on shrimp.

I was told my rainbows might, once I considered stocking shrimp. However, I decided what the heck, I'll turn this little world into 'the survival of the fittest'.

Since then, my RCS have hatched shrimplets and maybe a few of the hatchlings have been picked off but at least 10 have survived. The mother still has at least 20 eggs, so we'll see where this game leAds us!

Yah I'm definitely going to wait a while before I get shrimp. I don't really want them to breed cuz it's not really a shrimp tank. I kinda want to keep their population under control

Tcal01 said:
Yah I'm definitely going to wait a while before I get shrimp. I don't really want them to breed cuz it's not really a shrimp tank. I kinda want to keep their population under control

Oh ok haha well you could always just sell the shrimp. Some LFS might buy them off of you? Also, if you run your filter without anything protecting the intake, you could just suck up all the baby's up accidentally.

Back
Top Bottom