stocking 10G heavily planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Donkey Gun said:
Any updates on your tank?

Did you mean mine? Lol if you did I added a colony of shrimp. Most RCS. I do have 3 red tiger and 1 black bee shrimp though. I also added some more chili rasboras. I now have a total of 7 chili rasboras and about 26-28 shrimp. Oh, and of course my 2 ottos. :) most of my plants have BBA:( I will start adding CO2 when my drop checker arrives from hong kong:/ in about 3 weeks. So hopefully the supplementation of CO2 will kill off that ugly algea. As for new additions plant wise, I added ludwigia to the far back right hand corner. It also came with some ramshorn snail babies which i wish weren't there. I might add 2 more chilis's, what do you think? Thanks for asking!!!

Stocking list
7 chili rasboras
27 shrimp
2 Otto's
1 nerite snail

pics Pics PICS!! lol

I did a DIY co2 setup for my 10 gallon, never really need to check the co2 levels with that. I just make sure it's still bubbling every so often and make a new mixture about every 4 to 6 weeks.

Donkey Gun said:
pics Pics PICS!! lol

I did a DIY co2 setup for my 10 gallon, never really need to check the co2 levels with that. I just make sure it's still bubbling every so often and make a new mixture about every 4 to 6 weeks.

Yeah, sorry about that. The lights were already off and I didn't want to freak everyone out. I promise I will take pics tomorrow. Also, you know the metal that comes with stem plants? The one that wraps around the bottom to keep the plants together. If leave it in the tank for a few months, will that metal be harmful? Will It leak copper? Some of my shimp have been dying off and my water paramets are always perfect. (emphasis on perfect) could the metal be the culprit? As for the co2, I have switched over to pressurised. I found a valve that fits on one of my CO2 tanks for paintball guns and it works amazing!!

Lookin good! very nice setup! You missed the fts though.. the full tank shot! lol

I can't tell in the one photo if it's glossos or baby tears but you should carefully separate the small individual plants an spread them out a little bit in a bright area. It's incredible how they'll spread in the right conditions.

Donkey Gun said:
Lookin good! very nice setup! You missed the fts though.. the full tank shot! lol

I can't tell in the one photo if it's glossos or baby tears but you should carefully separate the small individual plants an spread them out a little bit in a bright area. It's incredible how they'll spread in the right conditions.

Thanks!! It's baby tears and it was just a test to see if my light was suffiecient. Lol once I get proper lights and co2, I will get some glossos. On a side note, I have my drop checker on the opposite side as the diffuser and its not changing colors. What do I do?

What do you guys think about adding another micro crab? They are so peaceful, it's scary! my black bee shrimp was on top o the crab while it was running around and the crab never did anything. I have really taken a liking to him and really want another, opinions?

Austin.b said:
Yeah, sorry about that. The lights were already off and I didn't want to freak everyone out. I promise I will take pics tomorrow. Also, you know the metal that comes with stem plants? The one that wraps around the bottom to keep the plants together. If leave it in the tank for a few months, will that metal be harmful? Will It leak copper? Some of my shimp have been dying off and my water paramets are always perfect. (emphasis on perfect) could the metal be the culprit? As for the co2, I have switched over to pressurised. I found a valve that fits on one of my CO2 tanks for paintball guns and it works amazing!!

I don't like metal in my Shrimp tanks except stainless steel.

Careful with CO2 and shrimp. Make sure it's only on during lights on and perhaps agitate water after lights out ( bubble wand or similar ). If you are getting lots of Algae,Even after adding C02, you can run lights on shorter cycle 6 hours perhaps or perhaps raise your light up.

Check your PH with and without pressurized (not DIY) CO2 running. Make sure you aren't getting major PH swings. Shrimp have to get used to CO2 gradually.
Start slow.

Coursair said:
I don't like metal in my Shrimp tanks except stainless steel.

Careful with CO2 and shrimp. Make sure it's only on during lights on and perhaps agitate water after lights out ( bubble wand or similar ). If you are getting lots of Algae,Even after adding C02, you can run lights on shorter cycle 6 hours perhaps or perhaps raise your light up.

Check your PH with and without pressurized (not DIY) CO2 running. Make sure you aren't getting major PH swings. Shrimp have to get used to CO2 gradually.
Start slow.

Ok. I have heard about using an air stone after lights out, will start doing that again.
Let's say, you start running co2 at normal rates from the getgo, would that cause alot of shrimp deaths? Also, how important is the pH with shrimp? If the pH is really high, would the shrimp start to die off? Thanks for the info!!

Austin.b said:
FTS!! Lol

Nice tank bro!

I dont know much about shrimp, because the only freshwater shrimp i had were ghost shrimp, and those things were crazy. Now i only have saltwater shrimp so i wish i could help.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Nice tank bro!

I dont know much about shrimp, because the only freshwater shrimp i had were ghost shrimp, and those things were crazy. Now i only have saltwater shrimp so i wish i could help.

Thanks!!!! Im thinking about replacing the swords on the right side because they're kind of an eyesore. Any ideas?:) and yeah, I have some ghost shrimp in my other tank and they're so much easier to take care of! I'm getting so overwhelmed with my tank and shrimp!! Ugh, it's so frustrating! Anyways thanks:) lol

No problem! And if i were you i would get an aponogeton crispus or a lace plant ;) haha the crispus is pretty cool. That floating moss ball cracks me up! Haha i love it!

There are no fish that may be killing your shimp right? Just tryin to figure out all of the mysterious shrimp deaths...

Ok. I have heard about using an air stone after lights out, will start doing that again.
Let's say, you start running co2 at normal rates from the getgo, would that cause alot of shrimp deaths? Also, how important is the pH with shrimp? If the pH is really high, would the shrimp start to die off? Thanks for the info!!

How much co2 are you running exactly? A high co2 level can definitely cause shrimp dieoffs, I'd be looking at that more than a pH thing.

jetajockey said:
How much co2 are you running exactly? A high co2 level can definitely cause shrimp dieoffs, I'd be looking at that more than a pH thing.

Right now I'm just trying to figure that out. I'm trying to add enough so the drop checker turns a green, but I'm having problems with that too. It's on te opposite side of the diffuser and it won't Change colors. Even after about five minutes it still dosent change. so I'll increase the amount a little, and it still dosent change. after about three of four times doing this, I'll try again the next day because I'm scared of suffercating the shrimp and fish.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
No problem! And if i were you i would get an aponogeton crispus or a lace plant ;) haha the crispus is pretty cool. That floating moss ball cracks me up! Haha i love it!

There are no fish that may be killing your shimp right? Just tryin to figure out all of the mysterious shrimp deaths...

I think I'll get the crispus tomorrow!! Lol thanks! I really like the look of it! Yeah, me too lol in my future tank, I want to do like 4 or 5 because they almost look like floating mines!! Haha

As for the fish, no absolutely not. The only species of fish I have in there are chili Rasboras. The shrimp are like 3x bigger than them lol. Plus, I'm finding shrimp carcasses everywhere:(! Not have been picked at or anything. Ive come to the conclusion that's its either me being idiotic with the CO2 or the really high pH of the water. huhh :(

well its probably not the high ph. You've had them in that water for a while now and they are just now recently dying off. A ph level that isn't ideal for the inhabitants isn't going to kill them off en masse like that, and even if it did, it would've been shortly after adding them and not days later.

Co2 is really really easy to overdo, especially in a small tank, I'd lean towards that for now and go from there.

jetajockey said:
well its probably not the high ph. You've had them in that water for a while now and they are just now recently dying off. A ph level that isn't ideal for the inhabitants isn't going to kill them off en masse like that, and even if it did, it would've been shortly after adding them and not days later.

Co2 is really really easy to overdo, especially in a small tank, I'd lean towards that for now and go from there.

Ok, for some reason I thought the high pH was a massive problem but I guess it's not. Thanks for clearing that up!!!!! I really just want to ask you guys what are the first steps to satin co2? What would be the first thing I need to do in order to not overdo it? Maybe start with a bubble every 4 seconds and then the next day a bubble every 3 seconds? Thanks everyone, for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom