Such thing as too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was planning on getting plants with higher light requirements but the seller never seems to reply so i found this site:Aquarium plants - aquatic plants - Java moss

Free shipping but less selection IMO. They also say that they remove the leafs on plants that tend to melt upon removal. Has anyone ever heard of that. I'm running a 2x24w T5HO fixture on a 30'' 35 gallon tank. No CO2 but dosing with flourish excel. Here are the plants i want to get:

-Anubias Barteri Petit (5G)
-Anubias nana wrinkled leaf
-Christmas moss (5G)
-Java Fern (5G)
-Echinodorus amazonicus (3 stalks. they remove the leaves)
-Windelov fern
-narrow leaf java fern
-red tiger lotus (remove leaves again) BTW will this pant live in my lighting?

Keep in mind some are for my 5G low light tank. they are labeled.

I've heard of some plant shippers that do that, especially those from overseas.

That aquatic magic company ships from china so you also risk having the plants seized by customs.

Try to go with someone same-country.

I've tried and can't find anyone who ships from canada. If they do they either never reply back or have ridiculous shipping fees.

Anyways i was looking a feedback since they are also on ebay and the feedback is A+. I just really want to know if there is such thing as too much light and the the tiger red lotus will live with a T5HO 2x24W bulb fixture in a 18'' deep tank.

Yup.

tntaquatica seems to only reply to my emails every 2 days. aquariumplants.com has ridiculous shipping and i never got a reply from aquaflora.

You seem to 48 watts of T5HO light which probably equates to medium high depending on how tall your tank is...post some questions and I will try to answer...Fort or Rookie is really the expert but I have learned by reading what they post so ask away.

Research your plants you plan at plantgeek.com...if wrong link, google it and find how they feed, their difficulty, and their light requirements.

All seem pretty low-medium light except the red tiger lotus. Really nice and i think a red plant would complete my tank. So you think it'll thrive. I've read its a medium ~ high light plant.
Tank is 18inches deep BTW.

What was the question? Too much lighting? Yes it's possible to have too much light if you cannot compensate with sufficient ferts and co2. I think you'll be fine with that particular fixture though, it doesn't seem too extreme.

When something is labeled as a low light plant, for example, java moss, it doesn't mean it requires low light, it just means that it can live in low light. It actually grows like mad in higher light.

About the seller, I've read some posts from time to time about issues with either getting bare rhizomes, losing packages to customs, or getting moss that wasn't truly aquatic, it's all enough for me to stay purchasing stateside even if it does cost a little more.

My preferred method for plants has always been through other hobbyists, find a fish club in your country, look around for fellow canadian planted tank guys @ tpt.net, APC and the other sites and go from there. There is always someone getting rid of clippings for cheap, just have to find out who they are and contact them.

All seem pretty low-medium light except the red tiger lotus. Really nice and i think a red plant would complete my tank. So you think it'll thrive. I've read its a medium ~ high light plant.
Tank is 18inches deep BTW.
How high are your lights above your tank?
Usually, red plants take more light...I have a red mellon sword and a red wendtii under 2.4 watts per gallon of compact flourescent light...T5H0 is a magnitude higher so you are surely med high...what do you plan for a photo period?

What was the question? Too much lighting? Yes it's possible to have too much light if you cannot compensate with sufficient ferts and co2. I think you'll be fine with that particular fixture though, it doesn't seem too extreme.

When something is labeled as a low light plant, for example, java moss, it doesn't mean it requires low light, it just means that it can live in low light. It actually grows like mad in higher light.

About the seller, I've read some posts from time to time about issues with either getting bare rhizomes, losing packages to customs, or getting moss that wasn't truly aquatic, it's all enough for me to stay purchasing stateside even if it does cost a little more.

My preferred method for plants has always been through other hobbyists, find a fish club in your country, look around for fellow canadian planted tank guys @ tpt.net, APC and the other sites and go from there. There is always someone getting rid of clippings for cheap, just have to find out who they are and contact them.

Thanks for your advice jeta. I'm going to give it overnight for thought and see if the other sites email me back. If not i'll have to push my luck.

How high are your lights above your tank?
Usually, red plants take more light...I have a red mellon sword and a red wendtii under 2.4 watts per gallon of compact flourescent light...T5H0 is a magnitude higher so you are surely med high...what do you plan for a photo period?

considering the substrate the light will probably be 16-18 inch above the plant. As far as photo period i'm unsure. I was going for 12 on and 12 off but i'm not sure how that would hold off.

I also thought up a split photo period. At 7AM lights go on for 4Hrs then at 11AM lights off for 6Hrs. Second photoperiod would be at 5PM and lights would be on until 11PM which they would shut off until 7AM next morning.

I've ordered some java moss it was packed well and a little die off and I told them and they sent an even bigger batch to make for the first free of charge. The shipping takes a while but they strive for great reviews is what I noticed of that china company. Just a heads up.

Ok well i got a reply from tntaquatica but i'm 53 cents short on my prepaid credit card lol hopefully he can knock off 53 cents. If he can't then i'm forced to go with aquatic magic.

considering the substrate the light will probably be 16-18 inch above the plant. As far as photo period i'm unsure. I was going for 12 on and 12 off but i'm not sure how that would hold off.
Mine height is about 13 inches so your light should be still just med high, maybe less. The best thing about an aquarium is that everything happens slowly which is exactly what I have found.

I also thought up a split photo period. At 7AM lights go on for 4Hrs then at 11AM lights off for 6Hrs. Second photoperiod would be at 5PM and lights would be on until 11PM which they would shut off until 7AM next morning.
A few have split up their photo period 4 on 4 off and 4 on again with no ill effects. In fact, they say it may be beneficial. Start with 8 hours and then adjust depending what your plants are doing....this is just a base line suggestion.

Ok well i got a reply from tntaquatica but i'm 53 cents short on my prepaid credit card lol hopefully he can knock off 53 cents. If he can't then i'm forced to go with aquatic magic.
There are so many places close to you to get plants...why order from far away?

Not much here but i decided i'll have to go with tntaquatica. They are located in canada so it'll be easier for me. 2 day shipping aswell. Tomorrow i'm going to my lfs and might pick up a few more plants. my lfs only have low light common plants. I want a heavily planted tank but no jungle.

Back
Top Bottom