switched substrate, plants are now yellow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtanee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I just added some Carib sea substrate on top of my eco-complete substrate.
After a couple days of this new substrate most of my plants are not as vibrant green as they use to be and some leaves are coming off :/

Any ideas what it could be?
I dose liquid CO2 everyday, I have about 2.5 watts per gallon of light. I never had any problems with these plants until a couple days ago...

(Attached link for new substrate:
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsma...sp?productId=11147295&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No)

Anytime you make a change to the substrate it takes plants a while to recoup. Sounds like you made the substrate deeper and the plants will have to make some new roots. This will make the leaves suffer for a little bit. They should recover in a couple of weeks. Do you add root tabs? That might help them recover quicker.

Anytime you make a change to the substrate it takes plants a while to recoup. Sounds like you made the substrate deeper and the plants will have to make some new roots. This will make the leaves suffer for a little bit. They should recover in a couple of weeks. Do you add root tabs? That might help them recover quicker.

Hm no I have never added root tabs... I might try that. Its frustrating seeing those healthy plants regress but I needed my substrate to be deeper... Necessary evil I suppose. Thanks for the tip! Every tried using the flourish liquid team?

Here's the tank btw

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131027_122414.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131027_122414.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 48
Nice tank. I used to use the Flourish products but switched to dry ferts using the EI dosing method and Matricide 14 (glutaraldehyde). It is a lot cheaper. I was going through a lot of the Flourish stuff with three tanks. I use the Jobe plant spikes for houseplants as root tabs. You get a lot for $2. The root tabs for tanks get expensive. A lot of people make their own root tabs too with Osmocote plant fertilizer but I believe it has been discontinued.

Thank you! I'll try to find those you suggested, sigh plants can be so much work! At least they're rewarding!

Back
Top Bottom