T-8 shop light on 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billsey420

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a duel t-8 shop light with two 32 watt 6500 k bulbs. Should this go right on top of the tank or should they be suspended? Any advise would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

As long as you have a glass top, I would put it on top of the tank. With my 29gal, I have hardware cloth purchases from home depot on top of the tank and two 30in double light strips, t5no laying on top of that. I don't use the glass tops as I feel they block some of the light when they get dirty.. My plants are growing great. Just watch for algae. Hope this helps. Post pics.................

image-3402186035.jpg

This was right after my water change today so a lot of bubbles

Your tank looks awesome, I will be setting up a dirted 75 gallon soon in addition to my other tanks. I plan on getting two t5ho 48 in from LA shop. but I will look into the shop lights as you have.

Do you have a glass top under the fixture... Don't put that lamp over the tank with no glass or plexiglass top... if water gets on the bulbs... POP you now have glass shards and mercury in your water.

Could help but notice you have the same stand and tank as me... I got mine from craigslist from a lady for $125.. but I think the tank and stand were from wal mart..

Do you have a glass top under the fixture... Don't put that lamp over the tank with no glass or plexiglass top... if water gets on the bulbs... POP you now have glass shards and mercury in your water.

Could help but notice you have the same stand and tank as me... I got mine from craigslist from a lady for $125.. but I think the tank and stand were from wal mart..

I bought both of mine new from Walmart. I'm gonna get glass tops soon. I ran it with an open top over the weekend and nothing bad happened so i hope it will work for a few more days.

Water evaporates and if you have a airstone in there the bubbles spray water all over... Have you ever put water or sprayed a hot incandescent light bulb by accident with something and had it explode ? The same would happen with the florescent light... That will be a huge mess and contaminate your whole tank..

Yea I have the same stand and same tank as you.. the stand that has a overlapping top that the tank sits on.. How well has you stand held up ? I noticed mine if I get 1 drop of water on the top and let it sit for a second or two it literally makes that pressed saw dust board bubble.. even though its powder coated black... It sucks !! Just gatta be extra carefull when doing water changes and stuff not to get water on the top the tank sits on because it goes UNDER the tank and I found the only way to get it from under there and ruining the board is put your mouth there and suck on it to get the water out lol

Water evaporates and if you have a airstone in there the bubbles spray water all over... Have you ever put water or sprayed a hot incandescent light bulb by accident with something and had it explode ? The same would happen with the florescent light... That will be a huge mess and contaminate your whole tank..

Yea I have the same stand and same tank as you.. the stand that has a overlapping top that the tank sits on.. How well has you stand held up ? I noticed mine if I get 1 drop of water on the top and let it sit for a second or two it literally makes that pressed saw dust board bubble.. even though its powder coated black... It sucks !! Just gatta be extra carefull when doing water changes and stuff not to get water on the top the tank sits on because it goes UNDER the tank and I found the only way to get it from under there and ruining the board is put your mouth there and suck on it to get the water out lol

I'm not doing that. I don't run a bubbler so that's a plus.

Water evaporates and if you have a airstone in there the bubbles spray water all over... Have you ever put water or sprayed a hot incandescent light bulb by accident with something and had it explode ? The same would happen with the florescent light... That will be a huge mess and contaminate your whole tank.. Yea I have the same stand and same tank as you.. the stand that has a overlapping top that the tank sits on.. How well has you stand held up ? I noticed mine if I get 1 drop of water on the top and let it sit for a second or two it literally makes that pressed saw dust board bubble.. even though its powder coated black... It sucks !! Just gatta be extra carefull when doing water changes and stuff not to get water on the top the tank sits on because it goes UNDER the tank and I found the only way to get it from under there and ruining the board is put your mouth there and suck on it to get the water out lol
I got the glass for my tank today!

Back
Top Bottom