T5HO fixture over Versa-Top?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a new fixture for my 20H planted tank because I needed more light (had one of those regular fluorescent strip lights). I have a Versa-Top on the tank which interferes with the legs/screw-in system on the new fixture. The image on the packaging shows it over an open tank, but I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it for several reasons (tank is near a kitchen, winters are brutal here and evaporation would be a real issue). Has anyone modified their fixture to sit on the glass?

You are exactly right. Can I make this work? Right now, I have it sitting on the top of the glass Versa-Top--there is about a half inch space there, probably not enough to keep it cool. Any recommendations for me Old Scales?

OK, i had this exact set up on my 29g for months before I got the very advanced plant bug and upgraded to a 4 bulb Aquatic-Life. Here's what you do:
1. Take the brackets and cut off the side with the screws in it even with part that sits on the tank's top edge. I put mine in a vise and used a hack saw. You could also use a dremmel moto-tool with a cutting wheel. You can lightly sand the cut edge to smooth if you want to.
2. Reverse the brackets. Slide the brackets into the slot with the remaining down side on the outside of the tank and slide them tight up against each side of the tank with the light centered where you want it.
3. Mark the spot where the tabs sit in the grooves.
4. Take fixture off and put upside down. Put brackets right where the marks are and spot with silicone cement. Let dry. The silicone will hold it well enough but not so much that you can't break it loose if you ever need to.
5. Reposition onto the tank.
You will not be able to use the tilt back feature, but that really is a gimmick as it stll doesn't give you enough room to work other than just feeding. I slid mine back enough to raise the front of the versa top then slid back center when done.
You have a great light for a twenty. Make sure you have FW bulbs. I used one full daylight and one flora-max in mine.
If you have any questions, just ask and I will help you through this if you decide to do it this way. Good luck, OS.

Thank you for the excellent advice! I did buy one Flora Sun bulb and one Super Daylight (Zoo Med brands) but the daylight one doesn't work so has to be returned--gah! How low did (does) your fixture sit on the tank? In other words, how much space between the glass and the fixture? I suppose when I modify it, it will make sense. This is my first planted tank but I have a 55 gallon that I want to plant, as well. Such a huge learning curve.

If I remeber right it only sits about 1 -1.5" above the glass. Enough to let air through to keep cool but not so high as to shine light in your eyes as you watch your fish. OS.

Back
Top Bottom