The tanks of Wolffie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf Felis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am vision impaired, thank you.

I have a three gallon aquarium that is home to a Jungle Val and my male Betta, Picasso. I am currently trying an experiment with Peacock Fern. I have a green thumb with most indoor/outdoor and aquatic plants. The pictures are rather blurry and I am sorry for that, hands were shaking a bit and Picasso won't sit still.

2yod4ef.jpg
2vs2pte.jpg

I have a five gallon aquarium that is vexing me but I have some ideas for it. I am trying to find a hood that will fit it at the moment and go from there. I am hoping to either have green tetras or some Betta females in it. I just have to get it cycled and do more research for a tank that size. That is where I am at for now.

I know most Bettas don't like an air stone in their tank but Picasso won't let me get rid of it. I turned it off once and he bit the air stone and was all sorts of bright red. I turned it back on and he started playing with the bubbles. I am training him to come when called too. Bettas are such little packages of personality and brains :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed! Ours are being trained to head to the feeding port at two taps. Not major, but it's helpful to make sure they get what they need. No one wants dried bloodworm treats floating around.

I love the planning stage of setting up a tank. I start out unreasonable and end up with functional hehehe What does your process look like?

As for photos, we can find out if there's a timer function on your camera. Get it propped, set the timer and bammo! Great picture! I have to do that when my nerves are playing up. :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use my web cam and there is no functions like a digital camera offers. That being said I will save up and buy my own digital camera and take better pictures in the meantime I use my given resources.

Ideas for the 5 gallon and please note this is not set in stone.
I have my gravel set up already. Its black with multi colored stones. I love color even if its different shades of blur. I am also a huge fan of plants doesn't matter what it is I will nurture it to the best of my abilities. So live plants are a must. As for fish well here comes the fun part: I love tetras, especially cardinals, danios are fun and flashy, female Bettas because they are addictive, blue moon platies because i have never had one before and a school would be awesome. It would be a single species tank hence a schooling type of fish.

If I am missing other species that could work input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly a 5g is too small for most tetras and danios. If you want a group of fish there are some options:

dwarf amber barbs
micro rasboras
chili rasboras
pygmy spotted rasboras
green rasboras
ember tetras

As far as livebearers I would only suggest a group of male Endlers, other types get too large for a 5g.

Welcome to the forum!

This is a list I found online, it's the best "true" nano fish list I've ever found. Most include fish up to 2 inches long, but all of these are 3 centimeters or smaller at adult size and almost all will do fine in a 5 gallon:

Nano Fish Reference, 03/21/14

Back
Top Bottom