Thinking of setting up a CO2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helyanwe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 planted tanks with a pair of rams in each. My plants are slowly dieing off, turning brown and gross looking. Im thinking of setting up a DIY co2 system on each of them when I move in a couple weeks.
Ive been reading guides and such, but none mention something I happened to come across on a youtube video comment.
Someone said that you have to stop the co2 from running at night, or you can suffocate your fish, is this true? If so, does anyone know the best method of dealing with that sort of thing? Running an air stone or wand etc?

I run DIY co2 in two tanks 24/7.. as long as there's a little surface agitation for oxygen exchange, you should be okay.. it's good to invest in a drop checker w/ 4dkh reference solution to get a visual indication of the amount of co2 dissolved in the water. If the drop checker ever gets to yellow, then you should either run an airstone or remove your co2 diffuser to get the drop checker in the green again.

I run mine 24/7. Airstone off when light is on. I don't have a drop checker or ph tester. I just keep an eye on the fish for unusual behavior. That's going to chance in a few weeks when I go pressurized and triple or quadruple the CO2 in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom