Thoughts on hardscape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking if planting the left side an having it flow into a iwagumi carpet on the left. Has anyone seen this work?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433038957.462491.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433038968.879987.jpg

-Colin

Yeah it should work. I feel like the stones should point left, away from the DW. BTW, nice rimless tank. Is that a Mr. Aqua?

Yes, high tech. I'm using a 24/7 planted +. I'll post a pic in the morning once it's running. For now I'm putting a some bucephalandra and Anubias petite on the wood.

-Colin

Nice! I have its little baby brother (7.5 gal), it's a sweet little tank. I like the scape! Lucky you with the coveted 24/7:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks brookster! I've had the 24/7 for over 2 weeks now and just plugged it in last night :/

-Colin

It could work, but I'd suggest that you look at the 2014 Aquascaping Award winners and get an idea about the Rule of Thirds + visual balance.

Your tank has two focus points right now: the 'left' and 'right'. The left side includes your stone placement (which is fantastic, by the way), and the right side includes your driftwood. They're struggling visually right now; viewers are trying to focus on both at once, which is why it's really hard to 'get it right' in a tank with two focal points.

Here's what I'd suggest:
Trying incorporating the stones into the driftwood, similar to a natural streamside. The driftwood could naturally be 'growing' over the top of the stone, and it'd create a beautiful focal point to your tank, and it'd also give you some greatly-needed open space.

Additionally, I'd consider using a few smaller stones to emphasize scale. Scale is what makes those Award-Winning tanks look so beautiful: you can't even tell that they're mostly 10 gallons or smaller.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
It could work, but I'd suggest that you look at the 2014 Aquascaping Award winners and get an idea about the Rule of Thirds + visual balance.

Your tank has two focus points right now: the 'left' and 'right'. The left side includes your stone placement (which is fantastic, by the way), and the right side includes your driftwood. They're struggling visually right now; viewers are trying to focus on both at once, which is why it's really hard to 'get it right' in a tank with two focal points.

Here's what I'd suggest:
Trying incorporating the stones into the driftwood, similar to a natural streamside. The driftwood could naturally be 'growing' over the top of the stone, and it'd create a beautiful focal point to your tank, and it'd also give you some greatly-needed open space.

Additionally, I'd consider using a few smaller stones to emphasize scale. Scale is what makes those Award-Winning tanks look so beautiful: you can't even tell that they're mostly 10 gallons or smaller.

Hope this helps!

I really appreciate the tips. Here is where it is today. I need more blyxa and definatly more s. Repens. I want to fade the repens into dwarf baby tears. Behind the wood some java fern trident. Thoughts?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433475327.132690.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433475342.298986.jpg

-Colin

Let it fill in, i can attest to the explosive growth from blyxa and star repens once they establish. I'd opt for a foreground red at this point. Pm me if you want some ar mini or variegated.
As for the scape?? Rules and awards are cool an all.. I'm more so concerned with the "do I like it?" Factor.. afterall it is your tank and you don't have to post pics:p
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the scape too. However, based on my experience with the 24/7, I think those slow growing anubias are going to eventually be algae magnets.

Looks good so far! More pics as it progresses!!

�� Diana Lee ��
�� the Redhead ��

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now there is only 4 Otos in it. Soon I'm goin to put some shrimp and maybe a pair of something.

Back
Top Bottom