To many plants ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Whats a good roundabout number of plants for a 20 gal high ( 65 watts ) without harming the tank or fish . I dont want overkill but yet I want many plants that will be comfortable in the tank .

Too many plants?

I'm not familiar with this term.

Try to provide the needs of your fish. If you have fish that like free open areas to swim like maybe zebras or even more extreme Bala sharks. I would try to leave some open spaces where you don't plant or use low plants. If you have shy fish that like to hide most of the time, jungle up. You can make it nice and thick to provide the fish all the cover they could ever want.

I tend to like a sort of a mix but definitely lean toward the dense bushy look.

Technically, I do not think there is such a thing as too many plants as far as water quality goes.

I love heavy planted tanks, thats what I'm trying to do with mine, I don't think you can have to many, unless your 29 gallon is so full you have to move the plants to see your fish...you know who you are! LOL

unless your 29 gallon is so full you have to move the plants to see your fish...you know who you are! LOL

Hmm, not sure what to make of that? Fish are not the only thing to look at sometimes :)

So long as your nutrients are not bottomed out by the plant mass, there really is no limit other than the fish having room to swim in. The last thing anyone would want to see is a fish tangled up in Java fern roots. :)

The only other caveat on having "too many" plants is that you can cause BGA by having so many plants they obstruct water flow and use all nitrogen in the tank.

Yeah, in my tank where the plants are packed in...no algae....bare spots....lots of GSA....

I do beleive I love looking at the plants as much as the fish....sometimes more....it is so peaceful and stress reducing. :)

Back
Top Bottom