Trimming my Anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExodonFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have a good problem to have. I need to prune my plants. My anubias is huge. Can I just cut a chunk off and replant it

By cutting chunks off do you mean cut the rhizome into pieces? If so then yes go ahead, maybe only do 1 and see how they react.

By planting them do you mean tying them/wedging them onto to wood/rocks or burying the roots only into substrate?

I guess the rhizome. I take a pic later and post it.

I typically just press them into the gravel enough to make sure hey don’t move. They grow great this way. Should I not plant them in the gravel. The big one is growing up the side of a large rock. The pic will clarify it.

Thanks

I have split my Anubias a number of times. Just make sure you have a nice amount of root on both sides of the cut. Buried roots are ok, but never the rhizome.

The best way I have found them to grow is to wedge them between a rock/wood, close to or touching the substrate and the roots will grow down into the substrate. I have "planted" them in the substrate, but not long enough to allow to rhizome to rot, if you leave it under the substrate, you run the risk of the rhizome rotting and killing the plant.

Here is a pic. Is the circled part the rhizome

Attachments

• D33F6F24-5DCF-4E55-9998-B96DC152C5A9.jpg
    D33F6F24-5DCF-4E55-9998-B96DC152C5A9.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 80
Ok. That’s what I thought. So I can just basically cut the plant in half. My rhizome is vertically orientated.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom