trimming stem plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkilling1

Aquarium Advice Addict
How should I trim my stem plants?

For some reason this just popped in my head. When you go and get a bunch on roses, the stems are cut at an angle. I can only assume that is to increase the surface area of the stem at the point of which it will consume water, therefore allowing the flower to uptake more water correct? If this is true, then should I cut my stem plants in the same manner before I replant them in the substrate? This would allow them to uptake more nutrients from the substrate before the roots grow, correct?

I don't think that the angle at which you trim your plants is as critical for stem plants in an aquarium as it is for roses in a vase. The main thing is to trim your stem plants just below the node and then get one or two nodes below the substrate for roots to grow from.

gheitman said:
I don't think that the angle at which you trim your plants is as critical for stem plants in an aquarium as it is for roses in a vase. The main thing is to trim your stem plants just below the node and then get one or two nodes below the substrate for roots to grow from.

I know is not critical, I have been doing it for month's. I guess I could have worded it better. Something more in the lines of: If I cut my stem plants at an angle, like they do with roses, would that help the intial uptake of nutrients from the substrate prior to the roots being devoloped?
That angle will give the stem more suface area to absorb nutrients. Granted stem plants are not heavy root feeders to begin with.

I seriously doubt it would make much of a difference if you trimmed them at an angle before planting. The stem cross section of an aquarium plant is much smaller than that of a rose and stem plants get a lot of their nutrients directly from the water.

there is no doubt that aquatic plants have altered there way of living to accept nutrients through their leaves, but there are quite a few species that have very thick stems. Have you ever owned a Limnophila species? Thats a pretty thick stem.

Well, perhaps a more basic question, where should I be pinching them off?

DSC07318-1.jpg

I am not planning on pruning either of these this high up there, but thought the photo against black worked well for illustration purposes...

If you have side shoots, definitely clip below them. Those are roots just waiting to become useful. The reason for clipping under the node is it helps the mother plant sprout new growth from the vacated area and the clipping will do it's best to search for mommy by sending out it's own shoots.

Back
Top Bottom