Trying to understand the basics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am definitely wanting to plant my 29. I am a little nervous because I don't really have a green thumb with land plants so I am hoping that aquatic plants are easier. I have been reading up on planted tanks but I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around lighting and co2 stuff. I am planning on starting with low light plants, but I would eventually like to move up.

So here are my questions: do I absolutely need co2 method for plants? I know some people inject co2. Do I need root tabs?

As far as lights go, I don't even know what kind of bulb is in the hood right now. I do know it is fluorecsent but that's it. I looked at bulbs at the store before and I couldn't find the 6500K or whatever it is on anything. Think I am looking in the wrong place maybe?

Also wondering about how I can protect plants from cories digging around in the sand- I plan on getting Java Fern but I would like to try a different kind that actually plants into the substrate.

Ok now I am real confused as far as lighting goes:
very small tanks need more light than the WPG rule indicates and very large tanks need less light than it indicates.
I got this from So You Want a Planted Aquarium. I would think that it would be just the opposite because there is less area for the lights to cover in a smaller tank?

Plants are easy! You should definitely give them a try. :)

You do not need co2 for plants. Stick with low-medium light and you will be absolutely fine with out co2. You don't have to have root tabs. If you have enough light and want some heavy root feeders like Sword plants or maybe even Crypts (low light plants)...then root tabs would be beneficial. Sand has no nutrients in it, so adding some root tabs would be helpful.

If you can plant the plants and give them time to take root before adding the Cories, that would be your best bet to keep them in the sand. I would wait atleast a couple weeks before adding the Cories. After you have the tank stocked, adding more plants might take some time to get them to stay in the sand and take root.

Some bulbs have the Kelvin rating on them and others don't. Do you see any writing like "daylight" or anything? If not its kind of a guess as to what color temp the bulb is.

Did you buy the hood with the tank? If possible, I would get atleast a double fluorescent fixture. A single fluoro bulb will leave you with very little light. Doubling it would help you have more plant choices and give them a chance to thrive for you. You could go with a higher wattage fixture if you wanted, but I'd suggest sticking around low-med light at first until you get the hang of it. Low to med on a 29g IMO would be like 30-60 watts over the tank. A 48 watt T5HO fixture would be perfect.

I think alot of people get frustrated with plants because they have trouble growing even low light plants but refuse to upgrade their lighting. You gotta give a little more to get more...definitely true with plants IME.

I would like to get some swords or maybe crypts eventually, what I originally wanted to do was add the plants through the cycle so that they would be established by the time I am ready for fish.

I got the tank, hood, light, and everything else off of CL for 60$. The hood says , "30 inch aquarium fixture" and the all the bulb says is 17W rapid start. Do you think I would be able to get away with buying a better bulb to start? I don't know how much t5Ho lights are but I have read they are not cheap and I am strapped for cash ATM. Looks like I will be upgrading my hood and/or fixture in the next couple months :) Thank you for your feedback

17W is barely enough for Java ferns, I wouldn't try anything else until the light is upgraded.

The T5HO's are coming down in price lately, and if you are handy, a retro-fit kit is even less.

Another alternative is to use power compact. They might be "yesterday's news", but still a good option for planted tank. <Much better than your stock T8's.> You can pick up a 35 or 55 W kit form AH supplies for around $35 + Shipping ... or keep your eye out on CL, etc. for people upgrading from PC to T5-HO's.

As for the "smaller tanks need more light" thing ... they mean smaller tank needs more light per gallon ... so a 30 or 40W light over a 10 gal (3-4 wpg) might be medium light, a 60W over a 30 gal (2 wpg) will give about the same light level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom