Upping CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have the Hagen CO2 system on my 10g. Using the bubble ladder the KH/pH relationship was givving me between 9 and 12 ppm. Not too bad, but definatly below optimum from what I've read.
So last night I removed the bubble ladder and piped the CO2 output into the input of my AC20, to see if I could get better diffusion. I just checked the CO2-9.77 ppm. :evil:

My water level is up above the AC20's output to reduce the surface turbulence (and losses of CO2)

I use Flichsmenn's yeast in my generator with white sugar and water. Any tips on increasing my CO2 levels?

TIA

add a little bit of baking soda, it prolongs the life. Yeast makes the water (in your bottle) acidic, baking soda helps counteract that.

It doesn't really make MORE, it just lasts longer. You could also get a 1 or 2 liter pop bottle and a T to make 2 bottles run into your AC. I have the same setup: 1 liter pop bottle running into an AC10 for my 10 gallon. Keeps my CO2 at about 15-22ppm. I also dose excel flourish, my watersprite grows like a weed!

FYI, yeast actually prefer a slightly acidic environment...the baking soda makes it an alkaline/base environment, stunting the yeast, which is why it lasts longer.

It sounds like you simply need more CO2 flow...I'd start with something about 2liters in size...a juice bottle is better than soda bottle due to it being wider, and thicker plastic. Something like a gatorate bottle or ocean spray juice bottle works really well.

The also have wider mouths, making them easier to fill with water, sugar and yeast.

Hmm I just checked my CO2 levels again; now I'm up to 15ppm. This is at mid-end of my light cycle. Maybe it too longer then ~18 hours to raise my CO2 levels after the change?

Maybe I'll just stop adding baking soda so I get a little more vigorouse CO2 production until I make a new bottle.

Thanks all

sudz said:
hmmm, good to know! THanks malkore!

I only know because I used to brew mead, and had to add the juice of a half lemon to help the yeast out.

So many hobbies, and they find ways of mingling tidbits of info to one another.

Jack of all trades, but master of none. :wink:

I have tried this Nyberg CO2 Method I was reading about and it works alot better for me.Use one cup of sugar for 2L of water(the use of tank water is advisable),1-2 tsp of protein mix drink or soy powder(which is cheaper),1 tsp of ammonium sulfate(yeast likes ammonia supposedly hence the use of tank water,so if you use tank water this isn't really nessesary),1 tsp of molasses,and 1 tsp of baking soda(use the previous culture of yeast and if you want add more about 1/4 tsp).In my recent attempts I was only able to use tank water,sugar,and the remaining yeast culture and a teaspoon of yeast to jump start.HTH

FWIW, I use 2 1L bottles of scaled regular yeast+sugar on my 10gals. Your varying numbers may be related to a heated mix (from lights or ambient room temp) or variance in yeast output. What is your rested tap pH and KH?

Out of the tap I get 7.4 pH and 3-4 dKH; which is like 3-4 ppm CO2.

I did some reading on fermentation last night. I never realized that regular while sugar was a disaccaride- so it makes the yeast do a bit more work before they can actually use it (they have to enzmatically break it into monosaccarides before they can digest it). So I went down to the convenience store in search of a monosaccaride to feed my yeast(like dexrose, corn syrup, etc.), and all I found was honey, which Wikipedia tells me is like 70% monosaccarides.

Mixed my hagen C02 cannister w/ honey instead of sugar last night, and now I've got 24ppm (6.8 pH and 5dKH) and like 30-40 bubbles a min.
I'm sure it won't last nearly as long; but I'll play around with the mix (maybe 50%honey, 50% sugar) till i get something decent.

FYI - ammonium sulfate is commonly sold as 'yeast nutrient'. for whatever reason it contains the stuff that help yeast get started on the first stage of their life cycle.

azn_fishy55 said:
I have tried this Nyberg CO2 Method I was reading about and it works alot better for me.Use one cup of sugar for 2L of water(the use of tank water is advisable),1-2 tsp of protein mix drink or soy powder(which is cheaper),1 tsp of ammonium sulfate(yeast likes ammonia supposedly hence the use of tank water,so if you use tank water this isn't really nessesary),1 tsp of molasses,and 1 tsp of baking soda(use the previous culture of yeast and if you want add more about 1/4 tsp).In my recent attempts I was only able to use tank water,sugar,and the remaining yeast culture and a teaspoon of yeast to jump start.HTH

Back
Top Bottom