Urgent (Reef Sun)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright I have a 10 gallon tank and my hood can only store bulbs not the long bulbs the short ones. I have lots of plants in my tank and I used a 60 watt spiral bulb,but I wanted to buy a light especially for plants because some plants were dying and I was growing lots of algae. The guy at the store toldd me to buy Reef Sun 50/50/10watt,6500K Trichromatic Daylight 420 Phosphor bulbs. Will this still feed my Plants and let them flourish?

Heres a link to what they look like
Zoo Med Reef Sun 50/50 Compact Fluorescent Bulb at PETCO

Even though this is for reefs will this bulb do a better job than a house hold daylight bulb?

well... it depends. A 50/50 bulb is not for planted tanks. The 420nm portion of the bulb is for reef tanks. However, in your case, the problem could actually be too much light depending on the reflector in your fixture. 60W even with a cfl is a good amount of light over a 10gal tank. This bulb would effectively cut the usable light in half.

This could fix some of your issues depending on what else you are doing to grow plants (i.e. injecting CO2, fertilizing).

What kind of plants are you trying to grow? That would be the best place to start to determine if this bulb would be good or bad.

So is this good or a bad thing?

I use Eco Complete Substrate.

I have amazon swords some baby tears and such.

It depends. This could fix some of your issues depending on what else you are doing to grow plants (i.e. injecting CO2, fertilizing).

What kind of plants are you trying to grow?

I have baby tears and amazon swords and anabius plants.
I havent really used CO2 ferts because I thought eco complete would fertilize them.

Back
Top Bottom