ut oh - Dead light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
My double tube All Glass fixture died on me yesterday. I did a mad search to try and find a replacement ballast without any luck. Since I really hated that fixture I decided to replace it and ordered a double tube T-5 fixture. It may take up to a week to get the new fixture.

I'm back to using my old hood - a single 20W T-8 Tube. (gosh - it looks weird - it looks like the weather before a storm breaks out !)

Am I at an increased risk for developing algae during this week ? I'm sure the red rubin sword and L. repens will suffer a little also. Is there anything I can do to mitigate some of the damage from the reduced lighting ? Should I discontinue using Flourish Excel until the new lights come ??

I would cut back on your ferts, by about half, until your new lights arrive as your plants won't be able to make use of them as quickly.

why do u have to wait a whole week? where did u order from? if u found it cheap somewhere online a good thing to do it call big als and get them to pricematch. i have never waited more than 2 days for delivery from them. i agree with purrbox about the dosing. i dont think the plants will suffer that much though. i have shipped lots of different types of plants and sometimes it has taken 8 days to get to someone and they arrive fine with no lighting or ferts to aid them. i hope it all looks good. u should post a pic of what the before light looked like then the light u are using now looks like then the new light. the difference may even suprise u.

I ordered the lights from Big Al's - usually it takes 3 - 4 days for deliveries from them but I was planning a "worst case scenerio" :)

Its funny in a way - when I first put the dim light back on I said "WHOA ! that's DARK !". But now I actually sort of like it - its subdued, it actually looks more tranquil. I have noticed that the fish are spending more time in and around the plants and aren't out in the open as much. I wonder if THEY think a storm is approaching ?

This current (original) light is a 20 Watt T-8
The one that broke was 2 x 25W T-8
The new one that's coming is 2 x 21W T-5

I've been trying to figure out WPG and THINK I have
(1 x 20 W T-8 x 1.58) / 29 = 1.1 WPG
(2 x 25 W T-8 x 1.58) / 29 = 2.7 WPG
(2 x 21 W T-5 x 1.75) / 29 = 2.5 WPG

....... I think LOL

Back
Top Bottom