val melted overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medge00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my val melted and became soggy overnight. this is my 10 gal, 2 wpg... they were jungle like 2 days ago, so i trimmed them all about 6 inches per leaf. started adding potassium via nu salt on friday... did a water change on sunday... added peat to the water sunday (trying to get the rams to breed, my water went from a ph of 7 to 6.6). is it the peat or potassium? if i cut all the val down, will it grow back? i just did a water change again today....

Wow. Yeah, that happened to me, too. My corkscrews just disintegrated... I can commiserate, and say that vals and crypts have a great tendency to do this if temp or pH changes rapidly (more so temp, I think). The pH change is proably the culprit for this reason, and because adding good old nutrients in a sensible quantity isn't the kind of thing that should *kill* a plant... :wink:

If you do cut off the melted parts, the vals may well grow back. I find that completely excising an unecessary and dying part of a plant is often the best way to ensure it grows back healthily.

Hmm... Well, I think the Vals may be more sensitive to the pH swings, since that was probably what killed my corkscrew vals. Just a guess, though.

Back
Top Bottom