VERY Bad Hair Algae Problem. Any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have a 5G heavily planted tank. Recently i've been having troubles with hair algae. It's not to bad on my plants, but it's horrible on my Java moss and x-mas moss.

It says on plantgeek.net I can easily removed it by twirling a toothbrush by it and it snags it ect. Well this stuff is intangled within my moss, and you know how tangled up moss is already. So basically all my moss is thick clumps of hair algae. I honestly don't want to just throw all of it away, but I can't see how I would mechanically remove this stuff within the javamoss.

This stuff won't go away.

So do you AA members have any experience with this moss? And/Or know how to get rid of this algae. It's making me and my plants mad for sure.

Tried different types of algae eaters/algae eating fish.

HAve you tried spot treating with excel? That could help put a dent in it.

I have used it in my 29G, double the recommended dosage before to spot treat some BBA I had a while back. My ghost shrimp and amano shrimp did just fine - didnt see any negative effects.

Cranking up the c02 might help too.

I have used it in my 29G, double the recommended dosage before to spot treat some BBA I had a while back. My ghost shrimp and amano shrimp did just fine - didnt see any negative effects.

Cranking up the c02 might help too.

Alright.

Well I run DIY co2, so can't really crank it up. I'll do more frequently co2 mixes though, so it stays at a higher place.

you could add another bottle to your system

I'm not saying this is for sure right, I just think I remember hearing this somewhere.

I heard that adding a bottle doesn't really boost the amount of Co2 going into your tank, it just makes it last longer and let it be more stable. I don't know for sure though, just heard that somewhere.

adding another bottle increased my bubble count. i figured more bubble more co2.

I had the same problem... I was referred and looked into getting an SAE... I got a Flying Fox... not a true SAE however in one day my hair algae was gone... He's a cleaner. Check into one of them.

As long as your diffusion method is able to handle the additional CO2 production, adding another bottle to the system will increase the CO2 levels.

nice!

how many bottles can i put on a 55 gal? i still have plenty of room in my diffusor

I had the same problem... I was referred and looked into getting an SAE... I got a Flying Fox... not a true SAE however in one day my hair algae was gone... He's a cleaner. Check into one of them.

Tried different types of algae eaters/algae eating fish.

Well I have a 5G heavily planted tank.

Please read the first post before posting. I have a 5G planted tank, obv. not suitable for a flying fox, sae, or cae. Also like I said above, i've tried different algae eating fish.

Honestly did you really put that? Not trying to be rude but I said I have tried different types of algae eaters/algae eating fish. I put that right under the questions I asked in the first post. I'm saying just don't mention about fish because i've tried......
I don't actually /read/ all the links people put in their post

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom