Viewtainer Reactor and flow rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the process of making my final decisions on what to do and need some final advice. I need the powerhead for circulation but a 10 gallon limits my choices of powerheads unless I want my fish to become olympic athletes. The viewtainer is easy as if I can't find one I have many plactic tubes that i can use.

The question is, if I get the Rio mini or the one larger, how much does the reactor decrease the outflow of the powerhead? I need it to decrease but I can't have a 6 inch tube being it is a 10 gallon tank. Does it decrease the actual flow rate by 1/2 or more? Less than half? Not realy effect at all?

I am assuming you are talking about Tom Barr's reactor? If so, then the flow of the PH is directed to the bottom of the tank in a circular motion. IE it's not good for water movement. I don't know how well it will work for moving water in that small of a tank, but i have two of them in bigger tanks and the flow is nil.

If you can find it, I used the Rio 180 myself, and wouldn't bee too much flow for a 10G. The mini would also work. Most of your water flow will be used to create a cyclone in the viewtainer. And with the end of the viewtainer being much wider than the output tube from the powerhead, there won't be a lot of current coming out.

Back
Top Bottom