water changes and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi dolls and dears!

Just wanted to share this... recently I've had to up the frequency of my water changes as my fish are growing. I've noticed my plants appreciate it as well. They are growing faster and as the nutrient make up of the water changes so do the leaves.

The only change has been an increase in the frequency and amount. I change about seventy gallons a week out of the big tank now

Plants and Water Changes

Hi dolls and dears!

Just wanted to share this... recently I've had to up the frequency of my water changes as my fish are growing. I've noticed my plants appreciate it as well. They are growing faster and as the nutrient make up of the water changes so do the leaves.

Hello big...

Good for you! Some tank keepers never realize the importance of large, frequent water changes. This is the most important thing you can do to guarantee the health of your tank.

It's good to change out half the water in your tank every week and when you do this, you guarantee pure water conditions for your fish and plants. The changes maintain levels of nitrates, phosphates and sulfates the plants need for sustained growth and by changing out the water every week, there's no time for toxins to build up in the water before the next large change.

I'll have to "go out on a limb" here and admit I don't test the water chemistry in my planted tanks, because when you change out half the water religiously, you know the water properties are always stable.

Smart thinkin'

B

Me too... my big tank rarely gets tested.

ForumRunner_20121120_100020.jpg

I probably did about 25% a week I think I am closer to fifty a week in this tank now

Actually in a planted tank you should know your water readings of nitrates, phosphates, and PH/GH/KH in order to see if plants have proper amounts they need for good growth. In heavily planted tanks like mine I have to add macro and micro ferts daily. If I didn't do readings I wouldn't know how much my plants are using and how much they need.

Even in a non-planted tank it's important to know readings because then you want your nutrients low, which is attained by WC's but you should at least know your PH and preferably your KH/GH also so you know what kind of water you have. Plus over time in tanks your PH/KH/GH tend to drop and often times WC's aren't enough to keep levels of these at good levels for your fish (Old tank syndrone).

Rivercats said:
Actually in a planted tank you should know your water readings of nitrates, phosphates, and PH/GH/KH in order to see if plants have proper amounts they need for good growth. In heavily planted tanks like mine I have to add macro and micro ferts daily. If I didn't do readings I wouldn't know how much my plants are using and how much they need.

Even in a non-planted tank it's important to know readings because then you want your nutrients low, which is attained by WC's but you should at least know your PH and preferably your KH/GH also so you know what kind of water you have. Plus over time in tanks your PH/KH/GH tend to drop and often times WC's aren't enough to keep levels of these at good levels for your fish (Old tank syndrone).

I'd have to disagree on testing. In a well maintained and stable tank I don't believe frequent testing is pertinent. If certain factors were constantly changing or problems are a regular occurrence the need for testing would be increased. Also if you aren't dosing there is no need to test for those either.

Plants like fish will exhibit signs of stress in a tank that is less than ideal. Not to be overly simplistic but if your plants and fish are thriving in a well maintained and estibalished tank frequent tests are unnessacary. Also old tank syndrome tends to refer to tanks that are not properly stocked and cared for for long periods of time.

Not always true. There's certainly a difference between high tech planted tanks that are pushed hard for growth and low tech tanks that are run more casually.

In a high tech tank where nutrients are kept on the edge of being almost higher than the plants need but never below a targeted point, testing is important to maintain all of the ratios needed to avoid algae but push lush growth (or simply maintain demanding plants).

In a low tech tank the idea is to keep forgiving plants that grow well in conditions that might starve out light, carbon and heavy fert dependent plants. In low tech tanks testing is far more optional because difficult plants aren't involved.

In essence both testing theories have their application. As with everything else in the hobby, some things work in one system that don't in another. Africans, discus, shrimp, anubias, glosso... all these tank types have different parameters. Some are forgiving in terms of testing or levels and others are merciless. lol

Old tank syndrone isn't a tank that hasn't been maintained or properly stocked. Old Tank Syndrome is a condition in which the aquarium environment has degraded over time, specifically the water chemistry. Actually there are generally few visible indications of the significant changes that have occurred in the water parameters. Water tests will show a different picture. Nitrates and phosphates will be significantly increased. The PH, GH (general hardness), and KH (carbonate hardness) will be quite different than that of the water supply. Generally the PH will become more and more acidic over time.

Even in low or medium light tanks not utilizing ferts or liquid carbon/CO2 need periodic testing. Nitrates and phosphates can creep up even when doing large WC's due to high organic load in substrate, dirty filters, foods containing large amounts of phosphates which some do, and alot more factors that play into it. Testing at least once a month in a low/medium tech tank is a very good idea. Fish and plants can seemingly look fine when in fact your water chemistry is changing. You won't know if your water chemistry is changing if you never test it and just assume its fine or hasn't changed just because your fish and plants look okay.

Rivercats said:
Old tank syndrone isn't a tank that hasn't been maintained or properly stocked. Old Tank Syndrome is a condition in which the aquarium environment has degraded over time, specifically the water chemistry. Actually there are generally few visible indications of the significant changes that have occurred in the water parameters. Water tests will show a different picture. Nitrates and phosphates will be significantly increased. The PH, GH (general hardness), and KH (carbonate hardness) will be quite different than that of the water supply. Generally the PH will become more and more acidic over time.

Even in low or medium light tanks not utilizing ferts or liquid carbon/CO2 need periodic testing. Nitrates and phosphates can creep up even when doing large WC's due to high organic load in substrate, dirty filters, foods containing large amounts of phosphates which some do, and alot more factors that play into it. Testing at least once a month in a low/medium tech tank is a very good idea. Fish and plants can seemingly look fine when in fact your water chemistry is changing. You won't know if your water chemistry is changing if you never test it and just assume its fine or hasn't changed just because your fish and plants look okay.

I shall repeat myself: its not that I never test the tank. It is that I RARELY test it because the tank is exceedingly stable.

I'd say the degradation of water quality is the result of an improperly maintained tank. In a well cared for tank the build up of organic and inorganic substances is often alleviated as one does tank maintence. This means not only changing water but routinely cleaning and caring for the equipment that keep the tank running.

I shall repeat myself: its not that I never test the tank. It is that I RARELY test it because the tank is exceedingly stable.

I'd say the degradation of water quality is the result of an improperly maintained tank. In a well cared for tank the build up of organic and inorganic substances is often alleviated as one does tank maintence. This means not only changing water but routinely cleaning and caring for the equipment that keep the tank running.

I didn't say "you" never tested I'm talking about testing and planted tanks in general. Many years ago I tended to be more lax about testing but always maintained my tanks and all looked really good, fish and plants. I had a couple that were old tanks, probably 3ish years at the time and when I decided to do testing and much to my surprize, my well maintained and large WC'ed tanks were bottoming out... I had a PH somewhere under 6 (my test couldn't go low enough), I had no KH or GH. It can and does happen on properly maintained tanks and periodic checking IMO should be done whether we maintain our tanks or not. You have your way of looking at it and I have mine, each tank is different but IMO testing is a very useful tool that should be utilized on a regular basis, whether it be every week or every month. It's an early warning system that can alert tank owners that something is up.

Plants and Water Changes

Hello again all...

This is an interesting discussion about the need to check the water chemistry in an aquarium. When I set up my tanks, I tested the water properties during the cycling process, but once the tank was fully stocked, I stopped. I stopped, because I began to remove and replace half the water in the tank every week.

It was explained to me, that nitrogens from the fish waste take several days, if not a couple of weeks to build up to a point that can harm the fish. The reason being the waste must dissolve in the water and this process takes time. If I removed most of water, the dissolved toxins would also be removed. So, by flushing large amounts of pure, treated tap water through my tanks every week, the remaining wastes are diliuted to the point they're not harmful to the fish. So, the water in the tank is always stable.

I haven't tested my tank water in a long time, but I perform my water changes religiously.

B

I agree that large WC's are good for both plants and fish but even with large WC's of say 50% weekly your only removing 50% of dissolved organics. Yes you lower it weekly but you still are having a slow and steady build up not to mention what is in the substrate. Plus different organics break down at different rates. You have more than fish waste breaking down. So from my point of view even with excellent tank management tank reading should be taken so you know exactly what your various levels are because they can change. Tap water levels can change and if water readings are rarely taken a person would never know. Water testing has an important place in overall tank maintenance IMO.

I thoroughly believe that the notion of a well maintained tank, over the course of years, can show baffling water parameters. I don't know exactly what goes on chemically but it must be in the substrate. My 4 1/2 year old planted tank was getting wonky and not giving me the same results. when I broke it down I decided to keep the Flourite and when I rinsed it... jet black. Masses of black water came out at every rinsing.

These systems can't be siphoned thoroughly because of the roots. It isn't a bad practice to not syphon, it's important to leave the roots unharmed. Still, after however many years it starts to affect the animals. My first indication was my snails. The water simply became unfit to keep their shells healthy. I'll someday probably reuse the now clean Flourite but the filth that couldn't be removed other than by a complete tank breakdown was astounding. Anyway, good excuse to give the tank a new look and chance for greater success.

I am starting up a new planted discus tank. I know discus like low gh and kh. Which my tap water is thankfully. I am just wondering how plants like it? Thanks

Some plants prefer soft water and others don't. I've grown plants for years on RO water (just quit actually). You're plants should do great. You could always check out the plant profiles before buying a plant you have your eye on just to make sure.

Some plants really like soft water, most prefer softer water but with a GH/KH around 4. You might want to get an API GH and KH test kit so you know exactly what your readings are. If you GH is too low you may have to add magnesium as plants do need magnesium as one of their macro nutrients.

I have those kits? Would I need to test for magnesium?

No you don't. Actually your GH tells you if you have enough Magnesium. A low or 0 GH means you have little or none in your tank. Raising GH is done by adding Magnesium Sulfate MgSO4, which is epsom salt.

Back
Top Bottom