Water changes and substrate suctioning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dobber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If you have a planted tank how do you clean the substrate without disturbing or dislodging the plants? Before I had plants I simply pushed the vacuum tubing to the base of the tank, but that seems like a generally bad idea with plants. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

9-11-2001 Always Remember

If you have a planted tank how do you clean the substrate without disturbing or dislodging the plants? Before I had plants I simply pushed the vacuum tubing to the base of the tank, but that seems like a generally bad idea with plants. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Same problem. I don't want to disturb the plants so I kind of whirlpool the gravel vac over the plants and suck up anything that pops up.

Tank Vacuuming

Hello Dobb...

If you vacuum the bottom material, you'll remove the nutrients the plants need and you could damage the plants. The organic material that falls to the bottom of the tank dissolves in the tank water and the plants use it. What the plants don't use is removed when you perform a water change.

B

Ok so don't suction the substrate then? Just do general water changes?

I just hover over the substrate and go in a circle pattern. Don't stick the hose down into the substrate.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

also using a finer grade of substrate greatly reduces the amount of detritus that builds up in the substrate bed.

Vacuuming Gravel

Ok so don't suction the substrate then? Just do general water changes?

Hello again Dob...

Exactly. Everything in the tank will eventually dissolve in the water. By simply changing it, you'll remove whatever has dissolved in it. The more you remove and replace the better the environment for the fish and plants.

Pretty easy.

B

Thank you very much! I love these forums, so helpful!!

Exactly. Everything in the tank will eventually dissolve in the water.

possibly causing ph swings, yellow water, accumulation of dissolved solids, ammonia spikes, etc. not too mention it will just look nasty over time.

not really the best approach, IMO.
The advise offered previously about hovering the vac over the substrate is the most sound. ;)

I use a double length chopstick that I made and run it between the plants right b4 the water change. Then I make swirling motion as low and as close as I can get with the siphon.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Back
Top Bottom