What i would like to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

11.jpg

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2005.cgi?&Scale=3&op=showcase&category=0&vol=0&id=4

I fell in love with this tank instantly. I want to do something similar and will have a 20 gal high available in the next few weeks to try it.

What kind of lighting would this require? Ferts? Substrate? Where can I find the plants needed? The driftwood?

I am still a planted tank n00b

Thanks
FP

Lighting: He's using 45 T8 over a 16 gallon tank which is Medium High Light. For comparable lighting over a 20 gallon high tank you would need about 50 watts of either T8 or CF.
Ferts: With that much light you'll most likely need both CO2 and a full complement of ferts. Read the stickies at the top of the forum if you need additional information. Ask questions on anything that isn't clear.
Substrate: PFS (Pool Filter Sand) is a good substrate choice which is fairly inexpensive and will look similar.
Plants: Most of the plants are on rare side, so you'll need to locate other hobbiests to trade with or buy from. Some could cost you a pretty penny. Aquabid is always an option for trying to locate rarer plants.
Driftwood: You're on your own here. I've not seen driftwood like that locally available or on most sites. Could try Ebay, Aquabid, and FloridaDriftwood to see if you can find something similar enough to meet your needs.

Note if you want something similar but with less work since you're still fairly new to plants, you could try using more common plants like Java Moss and Java Fern instead. This would allow you to drop your lighting down to Medium Low Light, or even Low Light, and as a result wouldn't require as intensive a fertilization schedule.

Thanks Purrbox! I was thinking something like Java Moss for the look on the driftwood, or weeping moss.

And maybe Anubis Nana?

What type of moss is that anyways?

I have a 20 gallons high as well. If you decide you want to pursue this, I suggets going with the 55w lighting kit here:

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

should fit your current hood perfectly. Of course if you don't want to go the DIY route there are other light fixtures out there.

Thanks Capt, I'll look into that. I would be ok with the DIY.

DIY lighting was what i was meaning. I have a DIY CO2 setup already, someone (was it you Rich?) posted some awesome directions for me

To get tank compatable driftwood, that looks like what you see in the picture. You can use Manzanita Wood. It is available "wild" here locally, and many folks use it in thier tanks. It has a similar look, in fact that might even be what they are using.

zezmo, would you be interested in making a deal to get me some and I pay for the shipping and any trouble?

Thanks

you don't need java moss ot go low light. the taiwan moss he is using will be fine. I have soem growing in my frog tank, with 8 watts over 2.5 gallons. it is beautifully green and healthy

that tank would be very easy to duplicate. once u get the wood design u like u would simply need a little javamoss and maybe other mosses if u want and tie a bit on. moss doesnt require alot of light.the more u put the faster it will grow though. maybe replace that stem plant at the back with something nicer like l.repens or a plant with a little more colour. i have something similiar but on a smaller scale in my tank. it took 2 weeks to completly cover the wood. i used christmas and java though. here it is for an example:
at first....
img_691534_0_80102c42abb80403698d91c0e8be325f.jpg

about 2 or 3 weeks later...
img_691534_1_b69a2d54658c5f131351740cdd949b27.jpg

i have 60 watts of t-8 lighting and dose very little(probably why i am having some green water issues lol) substrate is eco but that doesnt matter at all for the moss. i hope that helps a little.

Back
Top Bottom