What is the proper way of planting glossos runners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamthuyduong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the reason why my glossos are not growing and spreading is because I planted the runners improperly. Am I right or wrong? If i'm right, how should I plant the runners. Can the whole stalk be covered by the substrate leaving just the leaves or is it only the roots that can be covered by the substrate? Here's a few pictures of how I planted the runners.

Here is a link to a site with great info and pics on planting glosso. Also you need lots of light and High C02 for it to grow as ground cover. I planted it the way it shows on that site to cover about 1/4 of my 55G and it took me about 2 hours to get it done (using ecco as sub). After about 3 days most of the plants went floating to the top. So I added a very small layer of black moon sand and replanted it. It was so much easier and it held the little plants in palce. Its been about 3 weeks now a bit of the sand is startting to settle to the bottom. But the Glosso is covering the whole bottom where I planted it and has nice roots. It is also starting to spread out everywhere else. Lots of trimming needed but it looks great.

http://www.egeis.com/aquoi/index.ph...846226&archive=&start_from=&ucat=3&c=articles

Good work Alex, that was the link I was going to post, and IS the best way to plant glosso...it's also a huge pain in the neck. But a great looking glosso carpet is worth a couple hours of planting.

Great link. I'll be bookmarking that one.

Just for your interest... The growth power of glosso is quite extraordinary, as mentioned in the article. Takashi Amano's Nature Aquarium World: Book 3 has a 5-page spread on a tank he started for a client. It was completely taken over by glosso because of lazy aquascapers. In a matter of a few months the tank went from having 10 or so species of plants to just glosso everywhere--on the ground, driftwood, rocks, etc. Incredibly tenacious stuff if water conditions are just right.

Hi I'm glad my article help you in your Glossostigma planting. Hope you have a good time!

Back
Top Bottom