What kind of plants will this support?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justme68 said:
Hey CleverBs! Hope you guys don't mind me butting in...i'm new to all this and doing my research before setting up after the holidays. Like swimswithfish I was gonna get a tank w/hood but i'm guessing thats not a great idea? I'm just wanting low light plants and will not have co2... so am i understanding right that the common hood lights will not even support those? Thanks for any help :thanks:

For me, common hood lights (t8 fixture of 15 watts) has worked well. I also added 2 smaller fixtures, also t8, but i think 10 watts, and there was more growth. Overall, id say you can get away with lower lighting if you dose fertilizers, and maybe root tabs. Better lighting is always a good idea though, but never necessary for strictly lowlight plants. Like CO2, it is just a bonus...

SwimsWithFish said:
Sorry I'm completely Ignorant about planted tanks.... If you ever decide you wanna get salty THEN, I can answere some questions. But these guys are the experts:)^

Lol get salty...i like that

Justme68 said:
Same here! I'm trying to learn something about them as I would soooo love to have one. They just look so natural....I just don't want to pummel someone with questions but i suppose they'll let me know when they've had enough...lol. Thanks though....I'll just follow your thread and see what I learn:)

Well maybe both of you can help me out if i ever tank the plunge...funny how both types of aquarium owners also want the opposite side of fish keeping too...

Justme68 said:
I hope to some day be knowledgable enough to help out Gboy :)

Lol i know nothing compared to most of the users on AA. This place is loaded with information! At the end of the week, you will know three times as much about aquaria! Thanks for the compliment, though! :) And welcome to AA!!

You are more than welcome! I've learned a ton in the last 2 weeks that i've been on here. I'm sure after Christmas you'll be sick of hearing from me as thats when i'll be setting up. Btw.....can you plant when setting up and let the plants go thru the fishless cycle or is that not a good idea?

Justme68 said:
You are more than welcome! I've learned a ton in the last 2 weeks that i've been on here. I'm sure after Christmas you'll be sick of hearing from me as thats when i'll be setting up. Btw.....can you plant when setting up and let the plants go thru the fishless cycle or is that not a good idea?

Here, let me private message you some info! I dont want to hijack the thread, even though i know mattias doesnt mind, and is very nice. Unless you would like to know, too? Ill just answer here lol

You can cycle with plants, and it actually helps the process along, but i wouldnt add the plants as soon as the tank is starting up. Im sure you could, but with high ammonia levels in the beginning, i have heard it can sortof burn the plant. I added my first plants about 1.5 weeks into the cycle, but i am sure that adding them 1 week in would be perfectly fine too.
Like i said, you can do the entire cycle with the greens, but i dont, for that reason.

I shall wait a week or two then.....thanks! :) You can message any info, the more help the better !

Its all good I don't mind... It's funny you asked because I was wondering the exact same thing earlier today! I don't care when ppl hijack me but the moderators and admins will get on to you. Me and gboy and another kid got in trouble today because we were off topic... So just a heads up, be careful!:)

Back
Top Bottom