What lights should I install for my low tech tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So after I figured out that the WPG rule is bullcrap, and been told that Lumen unit is also inaccurate, I got stuck in a pickle. PAR is the only way, but alas it is rarely available by manufacturers, and I'm not gonna invest 300$ for a par meter.

But I don't know about kelvin, is this a good accurate unit of measure or at least close to it? I found some cheap LEDS that reads 7500k, should I go with these? My aim here is low light plants, such as anubias, crypts..

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you specify Make and Model numbers? The tank that you have would be nice also because PAR dissipates as light travels to the substrate.

So after I figured out that the WPG rule is bullcrap, and been told that Lumen unit is also inaccurate, I got stuck in a pickle. PAR is the only way, but alas it is rarely available by manufacturers, and I'm not gonna invest 300$ for a par meter.

But I don't know about kelvin, is this a good accurate unit of measure or at least close to it? I found some cheap LEDS that reads 7500k, should I go with these? My aim here is low light plants, such as anubias, crypts..

Don't get sucked into big expensive fixtures. Go for a led with a dimmer. Plants can be grown in a wide kelvin rating (6500-12000). Generally people try for as close to 6500k as the plant colours look a lot better and plants are ment to absorb more light at this level (not sure how much truth is in this). To be honest if your only going low tech it won't matter much at all. Go for a cheap led with a dimmer so u can a adjust up and down to find what lighting level is best for the balance of your tank.

Low tech can be seriously low tech. You'd be amazed at just how little lighting u need to grow the plants u mentioned. Even if half the tank was shaded I can guarantee they would still grow. Infact anubias likes abit of shade or it gets GSA on the leaves.

Hope I've helped [emoji106]

Don't get sucked into big expensive fixtures. Go for a led with a dimmer. Plants can be grown in a wide kelvin rating (6500-12000). Generally people try for as close to 6500k as the plant colours look a lot better and plants are ment to absorb more light at this level (not sure how much truth is in this). To be honest if your only going low tech it won't matter much at all. Go for a cheap led with a dimmer so u can a adjust up and down to find what lighting level is best for the balance of your tank.

Low tech can be seriously low tech. You'd be amazed at just how little lighting u need to grow the plants u mentioned. Even if half the tank was shaded I can guarantee they would still grow. Infact anubias likes abit of shade or it gets GSA on the leaves.

Hope I've helped [emoji106]
Would a simple 15 watt T8 (Daylight) work?

Finnex stingray would work great

Back
Top Bottom