What snail are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joecoones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know what kind of snails these are? Popped outta my Java moss and they are growing FAST.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425415744.688775.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425415770.221534.jpg

The shells look to round to be pond snails. Nerites maybe??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look like my baby rams

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is my first planted tank, never dealt with snails. These gonna be an issue? I kinda like the look of the shells but I see today I have at least 10 of these... And I saw two either eating one another or copulating...

Looked up ramshorn snails, that's what these seem to be.

Yes, those are definitely ramshorns. They have the potential of infestation, but only if you overfeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Will an assassin snail handle these?

Yes, but if you like the ramshorns, then I wouldn't worry about it. I have ramshorns in my tanks and they've never gotten out of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

also be sure to try and find what ramshorn they are as some Ive read are notorious for eating ANY plants you may have. Other like my reds eat algae and decaying matter. You prob did see them sexing it up since they need a male and female to breed, or one just had something on its shell the other was eating.

I've never had my ramshorns damage healthy plants, though they will eat dying leaves. If you get too many, put in something like a carrot or cucumber and the next morning just pick it up gently and put it and the few dozen snails into your favorite disposal.

also be sure to try and find what ramshorn they are as some Ive read are notorious for eating ANY plants you may have. Other like my reds eat algae and decaying matter. You prob did see them sexing it up since they need a male and female to breed, or one just had something on its shell the other was eating.
Actually, there is only one species of ramshorn snail, and they are plant-safe. You're probably thinking of giant ramshorns, which are a species of apple snails, not true ramshorns.

Back
Top Bottom